Sunday, May 10, 2015

Hana Banana Macadamia Crisp



At Mama's Fish House in Maui, they have the most delicious dessert.
Hana Banana Macadamia Nut Crisp!  
Who would have thought of banana crisp?  Well, Mama, I suppose.
What a simple idea, and it's amazingly easy to make.

I searched the internet for any recipes, but all I found was so many posts about how many people loved the dessert and wanted the recipe. Me?  I said "I can do this" in my superpower voice.

This tastes a bit like banana's Foster, that classic New Orleans dessert, only simpler to make. A perfect thing to make ahead for a dinner party and bake while you are eating the main course.  Serve with some fancy vanilla ice cream and sit back and collect the "oohs and ahhs".

As to the authenticity of this recipe, I am pretty sure my recipes differs from Mama's with the addition of rum and brown sugar instead of white. My husband said, "this is better than what we had at Mama's!".  Yes!  A keeper - - both the recipe, and the husband.

* A Hana Banana is a small banana variety, sometimes called an apple banana.  I just used regular bananas like we have on the mainland.


Serves 6
Ingredients

6 Bananas, sliced and chopped
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup butter, melted
1/4 cup dark rum (optional)
Dash of salt
Dash of cinnamon


Crisp topping:
2/3 cup flour
1/3 cup butter, softened
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup oats
1/2 cup macadamia nuts, chopped

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees

Peel and slice the bananas, I chose to chop mine up as that's how it was when we had it at the restaurant.



 Mix the chopped bananas with the brown sugar, melted butter and the rum.  Add a pinch of salt and some cinnamon.  Mix well and add to small baking dishes.  Be sure to place them on a baking sheet, as you may get some spill over during the baking process.



Mix the topping ingredients together until it clumps together. Feel free to use your fingers, it just seems to work better like that.

 

 Add the topping to each of ramikins filled with the banana mixture.  At this point, you could chill these until you were ready to bake and serve later.



Bake at 350 for 45 minutes, or do.  They should be bubbly and browned on the top.
Let cool for about 10-15 minutes... so, you don't burn someone's mouth off.  Mama's just don't do that.  Serve with ice cream and enjoy! 

Need some regular ideas?  "Like" my Facebook page


8 comments:

  1. perfect, I was just googling a recipe for these, remembering the wonderful ones we'd had at Mama's. Our apple bananas just ripened! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. my friend just return from Maui and they always stop at Mama' Fish for this dessert and now I can make it for a retirement party here at. Question is, can I make this in a "large" size like a 9x13 glass pan. so excited

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am wondering the same thing. Did you ever try it in the 9x13? If so, how did it go?

      Delete
    2. I was wondering the same thing. Did you ever try it in the 9x13? If so, I’d love to know how it went!

      Delete
    3. I have not tried it in a a 9x13 dish yet, but I am pledge to do it soon!!! I think it would work.

      Delete
    4. Thanks Piper! I think it would work too. I make apple crisp that way and I imagine it would work that same?

      Delete
  3. Did you ever try Macadamia Nut liqueur?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I have not. NOW I have to go find some! Yum!

      Delete