Monday, July 22, 2013

Mai Tai's for a Crowd




It all started with a Hawaiian themed land mark birthday. 
I usually just serve wine and beer at parties, because "cocktailin'" (aka bartending) at your own party is a LOT of work. 
But... hey, if you are turning something major (like 50!), you need something FUN.
Like Mai Tai's!
Except I had never made them before.  Problem?  No.
As usual I look at recipes and decide what I might want to do differently. 
So here's my version of the recipe.

This makes a BUNCH of mai tai's.... in my picture down below you will see I used one of those big beverage servers for the party.  Self serve is my favorite kind of party beverage... oh really, yours too? 

I will say this is very easy to make, even during the party, if you just happen to have very thirsty friends!  One gal came running over to "watch me make it" because she had never had one from scratch...?  Whoa... I didn't even know they made mixes for this stuff?  I can be very naive when it comes to what some people do.

Here's what I did to serve' em up...
1) Large beverage server filled with pre-mixed mai tai's.
2) Ice bucket with ice, and tongs
3) Cute glasses, or plastic glasses
4) Paper umbrellas
5) Pineapple wedges and maraschino cherries, if desired.
6) Dark rum on the side, with 1 oz pour spout, for people to float it on the top of their drink 

(I showed spiced rum, but I do recommend that you use dark rum, I think it tastes better, 
and right about now, I just might be a mai tai connoisseur.)

Serves quite a few, maybe as much as 20-25 ppl for a party
Ingredients
1- 96 oz. orange juice
1- 48 oz pineapple juice
1 cup grenadine syrup
1 cup Orgreat syrup (Almond)
5 cups Malibu Rum 
1 fifth Myers Dark Rum, for serving/floating on top (optional)

Mix everything except the dark rum together, give it a stir.  
Stand back while they start to line up.

This is what we woke up to the next morning... it happens to taste very nice for brunch too.




If you need a recipe for ONE recipe, here's my Best Mai Tai in Kauai recipe!

Need another great recipe for a party?
Pina Colada for Crowd 

Need some regular ideas?  "Like" my Facebook page 

11 comments:

  1. It was amazingly delicious and made for the best 50th birthday party ever! Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad! I originally made this for my bestie's 50th birthday, so that a fun coincidence!

      Delete
  2. I see Rosa's Lime Juice in the picture. How much should be added? I didn't see it in the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, that is Rose's grenadine syrup, not the lime syrup. Your comment inspires me to think of a lime version though!!! Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, that is Rose's grenadine syrup, not the lime syrup. Your comment inspires me to think of a lime version though!!! Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can you clarify Malibu Rum amount please? (I thought 1/2 liter was about 2 cups) Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, you are correct! My mistake, I can't believe anyone hasn't mentioned that before. I'll fix it, but I'd suggest you use the five cups. I used half of the big bottle from Costco.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, you are correct! My mistake, I can't believe anyone hasn't mentioned that before. I'll fix it, but I'd suggest you use the five cups. I used half of the big bottle from Costco.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice Post!! Thanks for posting these type of posts. I fond of drinking different type of beverages.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Don't worry, I will keep posting new drinks. I have one in "draft" mode right now for a St Germain Manhattan. Yum.

      Delete
  9. Hi! Looks good! Question....was this a 2 or 3 gallon pitcher?

    ReplyDelete