Friday, February 11, 2011

Chocolate Grand Marnier Pot du Creme


I'd like to share the easiest chocolate recipe ever... and I mean EVER!  This is perfect for any dinner party, but especially great for Valentines Day, which is, oh by the way, Monday! This is best served in SMALL portions, it is intensely rich.  I usually use small demitasse coffee cups, or these little mint julep cups that we've had in the family for a long time.  Each portion is about 1/4 cup or about 2 oz. You could put this in small martini glasses, or small ramekins if you don't have the little coffee cups. I made this last night for my writing group get-together.  They are the most fantastic and amazing women who were willing to be "quality control advisors".  
They oohed,  they aahed and scraped every bit out of their cups!  I would say it was a success.

This is a family recipe, and something that my Mom has been impressing people with for years.  She doesn't like to share it, but I have changed it a teeny, tiny bit. When we were kids, we used to eat these with a teeny, tiny demitasse coffee spoon. The goal was to be the last sister still eating their dessert while those around you were envying your self control in savoring your dessert.

Every time I stop and read a Pot du Creme recipe in a cookbook, or online, I am mind boggled to see how complicated they are!  What?  Why so hard?  This one is easy... one disclaimer though, it does include a raw egg that is "cooked" by the hot milk.  If you are worried about salmonella, and are one of those annoying people that never eats cookie dough, then this recipe is probably not for you! 

I made a double batch of the recipe below in my example pictures, so please note that if you follow this recipe as written below, you should get 5-6 small portions. I got almost 12 portions... which is waayyyyy too many to have in your fridge if you are home by yourself!


Ingredients:
Almost ¾ c. milk, ( have it slightly less than 3/4 cup)
1 egg
6 oz. real chocolate chips, or good chocolate cut into small pieces
2 tsp. Grand Marnier (Rum or Brandy works great too!)

Put the egg in your blender and whip it up. 


Add the chocolate chips, and blend it again.
Heat up your milk to about 180 degrees if you have an instant thermometer, or until small bubbles appear on the edges of the pan.  I used a Pyrex measuring cup and microwaved it for a couple of minutes.  While the egg/chocolate mixture is blending, add the hot milk into the mixture through the top small opening of your blender lid.  This will melt almost immediately. 

Add the liquor of your choice, or just vanilla if you prefer.
Add the mixture to small cups and put in the refrigerator for about 4-6 hours, or overnight.


I put all my small dishes into a larger pan to make it easy to move from counter to fridge, plus, you don't want anyone to knock these over in your fridge, yikes, what a mess that would make!


Serve with whipped cream and raspberries, if desired. I also think ALL chocolate desserts should be eaten with hot strong coffee AND a glass of good red wine! 

Happy Valentine's Day everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment