Saturday, April 30, 2011

Eggs Goldenrod- Old Time Breakfast Dish

Okay, you know this is not a pretty dish if I choose to put the finished dish at the end of the blog, instead of the usual beginning.  This is an old family recipe that we grew up eating, but I can't remember making it myself, so it's weird that my daughter requested this on a recent visit home.  She remembered having her Grandma make it for her before.... so, I said I would.  I looked through my recipe box, hmmmm, no recipe there, called a sister (or two), called my Mom and hey guess what?  No one in the family has ever written this down!!!  I googled "Eggs Goldenrod" and found more horrifying pictures and recipes than I care to report.  As usual, when my Mom learned to make this almost 60 years ago, she took her creative license and did things a bit different! I love that about her...

This is a perfect breakfast for brunch, especially Easter Brunch with all those leftover hard boiled eggs.  But, if you're having a brunch, it's worth hard boiling some eggs, folks!!! This isn't a pretty dish, but I tell you, it will make people very, very happy once they eat it!  Tonight, I made this for our family, and made a crazy vegetarian version for two friends that happened by... think cauliflower, spinach, mushrooms, onions and celery in white sauce over toast cups- - those gals loved it!  Talk about Comfort Food.... this dish does the trick!

Serves 6-8
Ingredients:
8 hard cooked eggs, peeled, sliced and diced
1 lb country pork sausage
8 oz mushrooms, sliced and diced
3/4 cup onions, diced
3/4 cup celery, diced
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup flour
2 cups milk, or half and half
1 cup buttermilk, or sour cream (Buttermilk is better!)
1 tsp dry mustard
Chopped parsley
Salt
Pepper


12 pieces of bread, crusts removed

Preheat the oven to 375.  Cut the crusts from the bread. In a muffin tin, put a square of bread over each muffin cup, using 2 fingers push down the bread into the hole, use your fingers to push in the other side of the bread, creating a "flower" cup.  Complete all cups needed.  Bake 10-15 minutes until they are toasted and starting to brown.  


Brown the sausage in the bottom of a medium size 6 qt dutch oven for about 5-6 minutes, or until it's cooked through. Remove sausage to a plate while you complete the rest of the dish.

Peel the eggs, and using a egg slicer, slice the eggs, one direction, and then the other, creating a small dice.



Set aside to add to the mixture at the end. Dice the onion, celery and the mushrooms.  I prefer my mushrooms cut up small and not large slices, but either works, do what you like! Saute the mixture in the butter in the bottom of a medium size 6 qt dutch oven for about 5-6 minutes over medium heat.  Add the flour and cook for another 2-3 minutes.  Add the dry mustard, then slowly add the milk, or cream, stirring as you go.  Add the eggs and the chopped parsley, and gently stir.


Finally add the buttermilk, or sour cream,  and heat through and serve immediately over the toast cups.



Here's a couple other great breakfast ideas:

No comments:

Post a Comment