Sunday, February 12, 2012

Nordy Bars


Nordstrom used to sell these bar cookies in their restaurants and coffee shops.  I loved them.  They are sweet and ooey gooey sweet treat. I have no idea why they stopped selling them. 
Probably because when you ate one you just about went into diabetic shock.  
Still.. they are incredible... just take it easy, cut them smaller than I photographed above.

About 25 years ago, I had this great boss, Sue, who used to make these and share with her co-workers.  We loved, loved, loved them.  Sue also gave me her recipe.  I still chat with Sue from time to time, and asked if I could share it, she agreed.

I'm made these to take to my co-workers for Valentine's Day.  I must get them out of my house.

Makes a 9x13 pan
Ingredients

1/2 cup butter
1 12 oz pkg butterscotch chips
1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
2 eggs
1 1/2 cups flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp vanilla
1 12oz pkg chocolate chips
2 cups mini marshmallows
1 cup walnuts, toasted and chopped

Preheat oven to 350.
Butter a 9x13 baking pan. In a large sauce pan over medium heat, melt the butter.  Add the butterscotch chips and the brown sugar stirring to combine until fully melted, just 1-2 minutes.
Remove from the heat and let cool for about 5 minutes.  Beat the eggs and vanilla and add to the butterscotch mixture.   Add the flour, baking powder and salt.  Mix.  Add the toasted walnuts, chocolate chips and mini marshmallows. 



Mix well and add to the prepared pan.  Spread evenly.  Bake at 350 for 28 minutes.



I know that 28 minutes sounds terribly specific... but mine looked perfect at that time and that's what Sue's recipe said.  Sue was kind of specific.. hahaha.  


Here's the hard part... let them fully cool before cutting into bars.  It's best if you let them cool overnight.  I know, overnight??? Yep... you want everything firm and perfect, don't you?

3 comments:

  1. I pinned these because I have to go try them...SOON!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nordy bars are so delicious and this recipe makes them perfectly. Authentic nordy bar flavor. I reduce the chocolate chips to 8-10 ounces, because I don’t like them overpowering the rest of the flavors. But amazing either way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I 100% agree with you! I like less chocolate too!

      Delete