Thursday, July 4, 2013

Chilled Prawns with Cilantro Sauce


About a year ago, we had individual chilled prawns served with a dab of cilantro sauce passed on a tray by servers at a cocktail hour wedding.  They were really good, but the sauce wasn't as zippy as I thought it should be, or maybe it was too little of the sauce.  It didn't seem right to chase down the servers and insist on more sauce.  
Obviously I've been thinking of this for a while... like I don't have other things that should be occupying my mind instead.  Oh well, I like to think about food; what I ate, what I want to eat, what I think others would like to eat, what I want to use up in my kitchen, what special holiday is coming up that people are going to eat at (duh, all of them).

So, for a friend's big ole' milestone birthday we had a Hawaiian theme party with pupus.  Okay, so I DO know that prawns with cilantro sauce is NOT essentially Hawaiian at all, but this seemed to be one of the most popular dishes of the night. 
Go figure?
I hadn't thought of blogging it while I was in the middle of "party central command center", so I whomped up another batch to show you all what I did, plus I wanted to eat some more of this too.  I've been using it for many, many other things, so check out the bottom of the blog for some more ideas, and pictures too.



 Makes about 1 1/2 cups
Ingredients:
 
1 bunch fresh cilantro, stems removed
5 cloves of garlic
2 jalapenos, seeded and roughly chopped
1 cup sour cream, or yogurt

2 lb prawns,  cooked, peeled and chilled (or use pre-cooked peeled from Costco)

Place the cilantro, garlic and jalapenos into food processor and blend until finely chopped.


Add about a cup of sour cream and process again until smooth.  Add about 1/2 tsp salt and mix.  Taste and add more salt if needed. Serve or chill until ready to use.  This should last a couple days in the fridge.


Here's the things I did with this sauce besides just serving it with prawns:

Mini prawn Tacos- chip, sauce, tomato slice, avocado slice, prawn, cilantro sprig. OMG, these were good!!! In full disclosure, we ate these mini tacos with the prawn salad below.  Strangely, my husband didn't complain.... hahaha, like he would!


Cilantro Prawn Salad- Toss lettuce with a couple tablespoons of sauce, lime juice and olive oil.  Top with avocado, tomatoes and prawns


Potato Salad with Cilantro-  Haven't made this one yet, but working on it later today for the Fourth.  I will update this soon.

Also, why not use it with Chicken, on burgers, on regular tacos, enchiladas... need I go on?

1 comment:

  1. Lovely sauce. Please drop me a line on ca4ole@gmail.com if you are ok with me linking to it on Carole's Chatter. Cheers

    ReplyDelete