Monday, October 14, 2013

Zuppa Toscana



You know, I like soup.
I think you should!
I have a bunch of soups on my blog... this post will make the #47 posting.

I didn't expect to like this one SO much.
Apparently, this soup is very popular at Olive Garden.
I don't really go there, so I never heard of it before.
It looked good, so I tried it.
WOW, this is now going to be one of my "go to" soups.
Ready in under 30 minutes.



Serves 4-6
Ingredients

1 med onion, chopped small
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 Tbsp olive oil
16 oz Italian sausage, regular or hot
3-4 pieces of bacon, minced
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes (optional, might not need if you use "hot" sausage)
9 oz bag of kale or spinach, chopped
4-5 med Yukon gold potatoes, diced
6 cups chicken broth 
1 cup cream
2-3 Tbsp instant potato flakes 
Salt & pepper to taste

Saute the onions and garlic  over medium heat in the olive oil until they start to soften.  Add the minced bacon cook until the bacon is no longer pink.  Add the italian sausage and break it into chunks with your spoon.  You can break them into small pieces, or larger chunks.  I liked the chunks.  Cook until it is no longer pink and starting to brown.
Very important.... drain off any fat before going to the next step.


Add in the chicken stock and the diced potatoes, and turn up the heat to medium high.  Bring the mixture to a boil, and cook until the potatoes are tender.  Add the red pepper flakes and pepper, and the chopped kale or spinach.  Reduce heat and add the cream, simmer and add in the instant potatoes to thicken the mixture.  Taste and add salt to taste, though it may be salty enough without any additional salt.

No comments:

Post a Comment