Friday, November 1, 2013

Brussels Sprout Salad with Cranberries and Walnuts




Some people love brussels sprouts.. and some people hate them.
I always thought they were pretty nasty myself... until I tried these.

My  hubby really loves sprouts, so I bought a bag at Costco the other day after I had seen this "salad" in the new Oprah magazine for Nov 2013.  Here is the original recipe... I didn't do anything radically different except added red onions and a tiny bit of cider vinegar to add a nice 'spark' to the dish.

I would serve this on Thanksgiving, or Christmas, as I think it's pretty and festive, easy to make ahead and might trick some people into trying something they think they hate.

I made this for a family dinner with 4 kids (not all ours...) and it was a unanimous agreement that it was yummy.  We ate about half of the dish, with the leftovers quite delicious either cold, or rewarmed, it's up to you.




Serves about 8
Ingredients
2 pound Brussels sprouts
1/2 medium red onion, diced
1/4 cup olive oil
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
1 cup dried cranberries
1-2 tsp cider vinegar, or red wine vinegar

Shred the Brussels sprouts by removing the core and thinly slicing. 
In a large saute pan, toast the walnuts over medium heat for 3-4 minutes until toasted, stirring constantly.  Remove from pan, and set aside.  Warm the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. 


Add the Brussels sprouts, red onion, nutmeg, and salt and pepper, to taste. Cook, stirring, until the Brussels sprouts are bright and slightly wilted, about 3-4 minutes. Add the walnuts and the cranberries and toss to combine. Turn out into a serving bowl and serve warm.


No comments:

Post a Comment