Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Lanna Sabai Thai Cocktail




While I don't care too much for a Mojito (it's just too minty for me), I DO like basil A LOT.
This Lanna Sabai cocktail is tangy with lime, a little sweetness from the rum and some great flavor from the basil.  
I wholeheartedly recommend it. 
Wholeheartedly.

Sabai means "relaxed" in Thai.
Apparently Sabai, Sabai means something like a combination of "Hello" and  "Chill, baby"
maybe even "It's all good" - - The "Hang Loose" of Thailand.
And Lanna?
Just means it's from Northern Thailand.
SO, here's a relaxing little number from Thailand to share with you.

I'm cheating a little, as I did not make this cocktail (to the left).
As if you couldn't tell from the photo above, hahaha.
However,
I did pay rapt attention to it's making, in order to record it for posterity.





(UPDATE- I did make this when I got home, so the picture at the top is mine, plus the ingredient shot below)


Sang Som is a rum from Thailand, distilled from sugarcane. I don't expect you to have heard of it, while it's very popular in Thailand, less than 1% is exported.  I think I might have to do a little exporting...

Serves ONE

2 oz. Thai Rum, or any golden rum will work
2-3 leaves of Thai basil, fresh 
1 oz. Lime Juice 
1 oz. Simple Syrup (lemon)
Splash of Club Soda



Rip up the Thai basil leaves and put in the bottom of a cocktail shaker.  Add the simple syrup, lime juice and rum. Add some crushed ice.  Shake, shake, shake.  Strain into a cocktail glass filled with ice, top with a little club soda.
Serve.
Enjoy.



1 comment:

  1. Hi Piper, great cocktail! How about adding it to the Food on Friday: Cocktails/Mocktails collection over at Carole's Chatter? Cheers

    ReplyDelete