Sunday, November 22, 2015

Quick Cranberry Tangerine Sauce


I cannot stand the store bought canned jellied cranberry sauce.
I hate it.  But, I buy it for those others, who think it's the tradition they can't live without.
I make this recipe for me.
It's my tradition, I can't live without it.
I don't care that some people tease me about "carrots" in the cranberry sauce (... it's tangerines, of course). It gives it tang and flavor, and my favorite color, orange!

This recipe differs from my Mom's version, which I love and grew up with.  I cook mine for a short amount of time, about 5 minutes to melt the sugar, soften the berries, burn off some of the alcohol and meld the flavors.  My Mom always used some fortified wine, like MD 20/20. You know MD stands for "Mad Dog", right?  LOL, that always intrigued me as a kid.
My recipe calls for Cherry Maraschino liqueur, but you could easily use another spirit like Port, Chambord (raspberry liqueur) or even MD 20/20. 
This is a great keeper, so if you don't use all of it for Thanksgiving, you can use it through December and the Christmas holidays.  I've used leftovers with my Greek yogurt, and must say, I love it like that.



3 small thin skinned seedless tangerines, or clementines
1 pkg fresh cranberries
2/3 cup of sugar
2 Tbsp of maraschino liqueur, or some other booze (Or, omit this entirely, if you prefer)

Cut the tangerines into 8 pieces each, add to a food processor.  Yes, the peel and all.



Add the cranberries and the sugar and pulse until they are roughly chopped.  You can do chunky, or a fine mince, or somewhere in between like mine.




Add the mixture, plus the booze, to a medium saucepan, and cook over medium high heat about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.  Let cool and refrigerate until ready for the big day.



No comments:

Post a Comment