Sunday, June 28, 2020

Easy Weeknight Meaty Chili


I got this recipe from a friend who sells Pampered Chef, and immediately thought, YEP, I need to try that. I didn't have their awesome RockCrok to use for their recipe (link here) but I thought I would try it on the stove top and it worked beautifully. I had both ground pork and ground beef, so I decided to use a combination, but you definitely try all beef if you preferred!  

Don't be worried about the unsweetened coca powder in this recipe, it really gives a complexity and smoothness to the chili.  If you're worried, you could cut the qty in half, but honestly, I think you'll like it.  My hubby wants me to make it again using less cocoa powder and more chili powder, which I promised to do next time. 

We're eating more low carb, so i elected to make this without the canned beans, but it would be good either waya. 


Makes enough for 6-8
Ingredients

Tbsp olive oil
1  medium onion, chopped
1 lb lean ground beef
1 lb ground pork 
4-5 garlic cloves, minced
4 Tbsp chili powder
2 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
tsp cumin
½  can (3 oz/ tomato paste
2- 10oz cans of Rotel diced tomatoes with chilies, undrained
1 1/4 cup water
2 Knorr Chipotle bouillon cubes, or one minced canned chipotle chili (optional)
1-2 cans (16 oz  each) mild chili beans in sauce, undrained (optional, I did not use)
Salt, to taste

Saute the onions in olive oil until they start to soften, add the minced garlic and cook for another 1-2 minutes.  Add the ground beef and pork, and cook over medium high heat while stirring. Make sure to leave some big chunks that will add to the texture of your chili. Add in the spices, the canned tomatoes and tomato paste, adding the water at the end.  Give it a stir to combine, and turn the heat to medium low heat. 
Cover and simmer for about 30 minutes.  

Add the canned beans (optional) and bring back to a boil. You can serve it over rice, if desired, or just a big bowl of rich chili!

Serve with Sliced green onion, sour cream, shredded cheddar cheese, jalapeno slices 
(optional)


No comments:

Post a Comment