Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Lemon Chicken & Kale Saute


We've been trying to eat more healthily.  I think many of us are. Sometimes it's hard, isn't it?
My last post wasn't healthy... it was booze,  a "What the Pho" martini- - well, at least that was non-fat!

I was inspired to make this recipe from a Weight Watchers recipe card I got in the mail for Lemon Chicken and Broccoli.  Well, if the truth be told, broccoli is ok, but not my all time favorite like kale! Plus, I had kale in the fridge I needed to use.

This whole dinner came together quickly after work one night. We both enjoyed dinner, plus there was enough leftovers for some yummy lunches. You could serve it with brown rice, quinoa, noodles or potatoes.  To save time making brown rice which takes over 45 minutes, I usually make a big batch of brown rice and freeze it in ziploc bags and press each one flat.  They defrost in the microwave in about 2 minutes and I always have brown rice ready to go! This method also works for couscous and for quinoa




Serves 3-4
Ingredients

2 large chicken breasts, cut into slices or chunks
2 bunches kale
1/2 white onion, diced
1-2 roma tomatoes, diced
1 lemon, juiced and zested
2 garlic cloves, minced or crushed
1/2 cup chopped, roasted red peppers (or 1/2 cup diced fresh red bell pepper)
1 Tbsp olive oil
Salt and Pepper

In a skillet, (I used my cast iron pan!) heat some olive oil over medium high heat.  Add the chicken and season with salt and pepper.  Brown the chicken, turning to get both sides. It's much, much easier to brown your chicken if you pan isn't overcrowded.  As you can see below, I did overcrowd it! 


When the chicken is almost all browned, add the onions, garlic and lemon zest to the pan.  Let the onions become a bit softened.  Add the lemon juice to help deglaze the pan and loosen all the yummy bits in the pan.  



While your chicken is browning, chop us the veggies.  Be sure to cut the kale in thinner strips and then chop those, otherwise you will find long, awkward shreds of kale in your dinner! That can be messy to eat... 
If your pan is big enough, add the kale, tomatoes and bell pepper.  Cook for 3-4 minutes until the kale starts to wilt and is heated through.  Serve immediately over rice, quinoa or whatever else sounds good.






No comments:

Post a Comment