Thursday, August 2, 2012

French 76 a la Desmond's


Is it a French 75, 76 or 77?
There is a difference but they all involve champagne.

The original, The 75 was created at "Harry's New York Bar" in Paris in 1915, and was named the Soixante Quinze" (75) for the French 75mm field gun, which apparently if you drink enough of these, it will feel like you were shelled with one.  
Um... watch out, ok? 
We were thinking after drinking a couple of these, that French 76 is SO last century, and that maybe a drink called, WMD is more appropriate.

Here's the versions of this drink:
75- Gin, lemon juice, simple syrup, champagne
76- Vodka, lemon juice, simple syrup, champagne
77- St Germain liqueur, Vodka, lemon juice, champagne
Desmond- St Germain liqueur, Vodka, Grapefruit juice, champagne

Who is Desmond you ask?

Just the best, funniest and most charming bartender in the thriving metropolis of Edmonds, Washington.  Think "Cheers" only a much, much smaller scale, in fact, the address is 415 1/2 Main street. Yeah, it's that small.  

The bar is called "Daphne's" and holds tops about 20 people. Desmond says it holds 23, which is why he only has so many Stella beer glasses.  He has four taps at Daphne's, one for Stella Artois beer, and three spigots for wine. I know two of the spigots are for red wine, and white wine... I guess I'm going to have to do more research and get back to you. He also serves a cocktail or two, but don't even think about ordering something complicated that isn't already on the menu.  I had my first "French 76/Desmond" at Daphne's; I was smitten, both by the drink, the bar (tender) and the experience. Some place where everyone knows your  name.


I am regretting giving you the address right now, because there sure better be one of those 23 seats for me, and my honey,  when I go there next.

NOTE:  I've made this as a French 76 (with some grapefruit juice) and also as a Desmond (with the St Germain), one of us liked the French 76 and the other, the Desmond, best.  I won't admit to who liked which best.  I do have to add that the price of a bottle of St. Germain liqueur will likely shock you.... I paid $54.00, so maybe you want to try the French 76 first. 





Makes one (but maybe you should make two, to share)
Ingredients:
1 jigger vodka
1/2 jigger St. Germain liqueur (or lemon simple syrup)
1 jigger pink grapefruit juice
2 jiggers champagne, or sparkling wine

Fill a tall glass with ice, add the vodka, St. Germain, the grapefruit juice and float the top with champagne to fill.   

Serve immediately, and often. 




 

1 comment: