Friday, August 24, 2012

Pineapple Upside Down Cake Martini



I don't often get martini inspiration from a places with names like Herb's Tavern, but it actually happened so I figured I should fess up.  Herb's is a dive bar, I mean dive in the nicest way, in the beautiful San Juan Islands, in Friday Harbor.  It's the kind of place where a bicycle hangs from the ceiling, festooned with the undergarments of happy women (I'm assuming by the size of some of them...) patrons. No matter, the food is good, the service great, the cold beer selection on tap is vast and a strangely artistic shooter menu, all at the same time close to the marina, or ferry dock.  I won't say how it all progressed to the "shooter menu" but with our party of 10; it did.

The original drink was served in a small rocks glass, or "shooter" and, of course, intended to be downed in one gulp. Now really, I don't condone that, even if you are only walking to a boat in the nearby marina.  I tend to be a sip, sip, sip girl myself. 

The bartender/server is always there and tends to be very persuasive when suggesting an "after dinner drink, monsieur".  He nicely told me what he made it with. This is my interpretation.


Make two martinis
Ingredients

4 jiggers pineapple juice
3 jiggers cupcake, or vanilla, vodka
1 jigger half n' half
1/4 jigger (about 2-3 tsp) grenadine syrup
A "float" of Amaretto Almond liqueur

Garnish- Maraschino cherry and a pineapple wedge

Mix the pineapple juice, the vodka and the half and half together in an ice filled shaker.  Shake, Shake, Shake.  Pour into a martini glass, and add a bit of grenadine, which will promptly sink to the bottom of the glass.  Pour a small amount of Amaretto to the top of the glass and garnish with pineapple wedge and a cherry.

Serve at one.

If you must shoot your beverages, do it with these darling little martini glass shooters...



Need some other drink ideas?  Here's some other favorites:
Blackberry Raindrop Martini
Coconut Water Martini
Honey Badger Martini

No comments:

Post a Comment