Sunday, September 16, 2012

Chilled Cucumber Feta Soup


Wow, it's been a nice Summer around here. 
And while Fall is just around the corner, these sunny days are so beautiful and enjoyable. I am hanging onto every last sunny day. I thought about waiting until next Summer to share this recipe, but I just couldn't wait.

I've had a bit of buttermilk around here that I was trying to use up.  
I love a challenge.
Having too much buttermilk comes from asking someone to stop at the store for you, and since he wasn't sure how much I needed, bought 2 quarts.  Well, two quarts is quite a bit for two people who don't really drink too much milk to begin with.  I've made Rosemary Buttermilk Chicken, Homemade Blue Cheese Salad Dressing and finally, since I still had more to use, this soup.

This is pretty easy and delicious, with another benefit that is also low calorie and good for you.  I  have made it twice in the past couple weeks, usually in the evening when I am making dinner, but I put the soup away in the fridge to chill and eat the following night, or for lunches.

One note, if you do let it sit overnight, which I highly recommend, you should add minimal salt until the day you serve it.  Here's why... the feta is quite salty to begin with and tends to add to the soup's saltiness over night.

This would be a great starter soup for a Greek dinner of Chicken Souvlaki, or any other Mediterranean dinner  It has great tzatziki like flavors that are mild and yummy with any dinner.



Ingredients
Serves 2-4

2-3 medium Persian Cucumbers (or 1/2  English cucumber)
1/2 bunch green onions, chopped
2-3 sprigs fresh parsley, (about 1-2 Tbsp chopped)
1-2 garlic cloves
2 cups lowfat buttermilk
3 oz feta, crumbled
Salt & Pepper, as needed

Chop all the veggies and put into your blender. 


Cover with butttermilk and feta and blend on high for a couple minutes. It take it longer to get smooth than you think.  Pulse the blender a bit to ensure that you are getting it smooth. Adjust the seasonings and serve at once, OR chill overnight and adjust the seasonings before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment