Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Quick Chicken Tikka Masala



I get my inspiration from a lot of different places.
Indian food always inspires me.
I read the Seattle Times online... but I admit that I like the "Living" section the best.  Who needs all that BAD, sensationalized news stories?  Not me...

I love to read the recipes; it keeps me on top of what other people are doing and I love to see what other people like to cook.  It makes me feel, well.. more normal.

This one spoke to me... One Skillet Tikka Masala.
I love fast and easy INDIAN food.
Yum!  Here's the original recipe from the Seattle Times
I really didn't change it much.  
The important part is that you can actually throw this dinner together in about 20 minutes.
Hey, make it your own- - -throw in some veggies; cauliflower, zucchini- whatever you like!




Makes 4 servings,
Ingredients

4 teaspoons garam masala (see note)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 ½ lb pound chicken breasts, cut into chunks, or use chicken tenderloins
4 teaspoons canola oil, divided
6 cloves garlic, minced
1 large sweet onion, diced
4 teaspoons minced fresh ginger
2 cans (14-ounce) diced tomatoes, undrained
1/4 cup whipping cream

1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro for garnish
Stir together garam masala, salt and turmeric in a small dish. Place flour in a shallow dish. Sprinkle chicken with 1/2 teaspoon of the spice mixture and dredge in the flour. (Reserve the remaining spice mix and 1 tablespoon of the remaining flour.)

....OK, I'm so lazy that I actually sprinkled the flour, the salt and the turmeric on the top and then browned it.  I would suggest you mix, (as above...) and the toss it together.  Try a ziploc bag or something and shake it up...


Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook the chicken until browned, 1 to 2 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate.


Heat the remaining 2 teaspoons oil in the pan over medium-low heat. Add garlic, onion and ginger and cook, stirring often, until starting to brown, 5 to 7 minutes. Add the reserved spice mix and cook, stirring, until fragrant, 30 seconds to 1 minute. Sprinkle with the reserved 1 tablespoon flour and stir until coated. Add tomatoes and their juice. Bring to a simmer, stirring and breaking up the tomatoes with a wooden spoon. Cook, stirring often, until thickened and the onion is tender, 3 to 5 minutes.

Stir in cream. Add the chicken and any accumulated juices to the pan. Bring to a simmer and cook over medium-low heat until the chicken is cooked through, 5-6 minutes. Garnish with cilantro.

Note: Garam masala, a blend of spices used in Indian cooking, usually includes cardamom, black pepper, cloves, nutmeg, fennel, cumin and coriander. It is available in the spice section of most supermarkets. I've mixed my own with using my own ratios of the above spices.  I like cumin so I use the most of that.... otherwise, I add it in the ratio I like.  I added cayenne  too... y'know why?  Of course you do... because I like SPICY.

So... you like Indian too?  You might want to try these other recipes...
Indian Spiced Salmon
Chicken Frankie's- Indian Burrito (could be my favorite thing ever...)
Turkey Keema Curry (OK... this is awesome and quick too)

No comments:

Post a Comment