Sunday, August 25, 2013

Almond Poppyseed Bread


I literally threw all the ingredients into my stand mixer and then hit the "on" button.
I know I probably should have mixed the liquids and then added the dry ingredients in batches.
However, I was doing a science experiment just for you.
Well... 
Actually it was for me, because I was tired, and I wanted to go to bed, and I wanted to get that bread DONE that evening.
And... it was a success.  I love forgiving recipes.
So...
You have my permission to whomp out an easy batch of this bread and impress  your buddies at work with a treat the next day.
 
 (I forgot to picture the eggs and vanilla)

Makes 2 large loaves
Ingredients

3 cups flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
3 eggs
2/3 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup butter, melted
1 cup sugar
1 cup brown sugar
1 1/2 cups milk
2-3 Tbsp poppy seeds (I used 2, but I wish I had used 3)
2 tsp almond extract
1 tsp vanilla

Glaze:
1/4 cup orange juice
3/4 cup sugar
1 tsp almond extract
1 tsp butter, melted 

Topping:
1/2 cup Sliced almond, toasted

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. 
Mix all of the ingredients together. 
Pour into greased and floured baking pans. 
Makes 2 large loaves. Bake at 350 for 55-60 minutes, testing for doneness with a toothpick.  It should come out with only a couple moist crumbs on it.

To make the glaze, pour all ingredients into a small saucepan and let cook on stove on medium heat until sugar dissolves. Pour glaze over warm bread while they are still in the pans. Top with toasted almonds and let cool completely.


Here's a platter to take to a party, work or maybe a bake sale.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment