Saturday, August 3, 2013

Honeydew, Cucumber, Mint and Feta Salad


Yep, another salad with melon and feta.
I love feta, so I couldn't resist another, even though it wasn't too long ago that I posted Arugula Watermelon & Feta Salad.  

I saw a photo of this in a recent Better Homes and Gardens magazine, but they didn't have the recipe anywhere in the magazine, which is kinda weird. So, I Googled it, and found the recipe on the BHG site, but you can't "view" the recipe without signing in, signing up and giving up your first born, so I gave up.  How hard could it be to wing it on my own? "Wing it" is my middle name.

I learned a new trick, something you need to know!
I love red onions, but someone in my house, thinks they are "too strong".  Which is kinda crazy from a guy who eats habenero peppers, putrid shark and any number of weird things.  Anyway, I digress...
The trick IS, dice the onions and RINSE THEM!  
Wow, how easy is that?  And it really does take the strong bite off of the onions.  
I will never be the same...


Serves 4
Ingredients

1/2 honeydew melon, peeled and cubed
3-4 small Persian cucumbers, diced
1/4 red onion, diced (and rinsed)
1 Tbsp fresh mint, minced
1 Tbsp fresh parsley, minced
1/2 tsp lime zest (optional, but recommended)
1/2 lime, juiced
1-2 Tbsp Olive Oil
Salt & Pepper
2 oz feta, crumbled, or cubed

Add to a bowl,
Chop the melon and cucumbers into bite size cubes.  
Dice the red onion and rinse under cold water for a minute.  Drain. 
Mince the fresh mint and parsley. 
Zest the lime over the bowl, squeeze one half of lime over the melon and cucumbers.
Add the olive oil,salt and pepper and toss the whole mixture.
Top with feta cheese, or toss again with the cheese.
Serve at once, but this is also good the next day too!



r

1 comment:

  1. Hi Piper, today I'm collecting recipes using melons. Please drop me a line on ca4ole@gmail.com if you are ok with me linking to your post on Carole's Chatter. Cheers

    ReplyDelete