Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Avocado, Orange & Jicama Salad


I'm come to the decision that this is my new favorite salad.
Fresh, tangy, crunchy, salty with all the right stuff.

This is day #2, and I am just as happily eating it again tonight as I am having a "me" night with my hubby at band practice.  Yep, I cook, eat and blog even when I am alone.

On night #2, I added chopped tomatoes and omitted the red onion and used green onions instead. Equally delicious!  On night #2, I also diced everything and mixed in one bowl like a chopped salad.  Not as pretty, but very easy and satisfying to eat. I also think this would be terrific on a bed of arugula, spinach or lettuce. Key ingredients?  Orange, jicama and avocado with feta, cumin and cilantro.

Originally found in my Food & Wine magazine, but changed up by ME.  Here's the original if you want to check it out.


Serves 4, but easy to smaller, or larger!
Ingredients


2 navel oranges
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
2 Tbsp orange juice
2 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
Pinch of cumin
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1/2 small jicama, peeled, quartered,thinly sliced and cut into thin strips
1 avocado, thinly sliced
1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
1/2 cup red onion, chopped small
1/4 cup chopped cilantro

Using a sharp knife, cut the skin off the oranges, removing all of the bitter white pith. Working over a small bowl, cut in between the membranes to release the sections. See in the photo below how you can see the sections?  Cut as close to the stripe of membrane, freeing a beautiful "skinless" section for salads.  Yes, there is some waste with this method but it looks especially nice and you can squeeze the juice out to use in the dressing.

Squeeze the membranes over a bowl to extract the orange juice. Whisk in the lime juice, oil and cumin; season with salt and pepper. 

On plates, arrange the orange section, the avocado and the jicama in a pinwheel design. Drizzle generously with the dressing, sprinkling on the chopped red onions, feta and cilantro; serve.



Here's a shot of the bowl with the dressing, not my finest photo, but you get the idea, right?

 

No comments:

Post a Comment