Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Butterscotch, Almond, Oatmeal Cookies


I'm not sure how it happened, but there is a LOT of different nut butters in my pantry... yikes!  You know how I call this blog "Got it, Cook it"?  Well, looks like I have some things to use up in the nut butter category before I decide to buy the mondo twin pack of peanut butter at Costco again...



I've had this recipe for a while, and I love it because it tastes great and it doesn't come out flat.  Yep, flat... I have this huge problem making nothing but flat cookies... it drives me wild!  I really have tried everything, smaller eggs, all butter, all margarine (ick..) and all sorts of other tricks but almost every cookie I make comes out flat.... except these!  My kids and husband are very gracious about the flat cookies and tell me that they like them best flat.... nice, but I think they may be trying to cheer me up!!!

This recipe is very versatile... make it your own.  Exchange the almond butter for peanut butter, the butterscotch chips for chocolate chips (or white chocolate, or cinnamon, or peanut butter chips) and exchange the chopped almonds for peanuts, or omit the nuts entirely.  I promise you, it's still going to work! It also doubles really well, but it's a BUNCH of cookies, so be warned if you decide to double it!



Ingredients:

1 cup all-purpose flour              
1 teaspoon baking soda            
¼ teaspoon salt                       
1 stick (½ cup) butter               
½ cup creamy almond butter     
½ cup granulated sugar             
1/3 cup light brown sugar          
½ teaspoon vanilla extract                  
1 egg                                       
½ cup rolled oats 
1/2 cup almonds, slivered                    
1 cup butterscotch chips      

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.

Whisk together the flour, baking soda and salt; set aside.

On medium speed, cream together the butter, peanut butter, granulated sugar, brown sugar and vanilla extract, about 3 minutes. Add the egg and beat to combine. On low speed, gradually add the flour until just combined. Stir in the oats, almonds and butterscotch chips.


Use a cookie scoop and drop dough onto prepared baking sheets about 2 inches apart. You can get more on a sheet than I show below, I am still slightly scarred from putting cookies to close together with other recipes and coming out with a big fat mess...



Bake for 10-11 minutes, or until the cookies are lightly golden. Cool completely on the baking sheet and then store in an airtight container at room temperature.



Makes about 16 cookies- 3" cookies, or 48 1 1/2" cookies    

2 comments:

  1. I caved! Whipped these up in a matter of 30 or so minutes while everyone was out! SO GOOD! Had Almond Butter I hadn't done anything with...perfect with a cup of ice cold milk!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are easy, aren't they? I had to send all the extras to work with my hubby! So glad you had everything on hand!

    ReplyDelete