Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Carmelized Green Onions, Tomatoes & Zucchini


Maybe this isn't the sexiest food blog post, but it is a really great vegetable side dish that is easy to make. We had it with baked salmon last night, since sometimes we try to eat lightly and super healthy!

I remember the first time my oldest sister told me she "fried onions" for a side dish.... "and?" I said, waiting for whatever else she added to this base ingredient.  "No, just green onions"- - I thought it was a crazy idea until I tried it.  I realize that I have just changed a recipe that I just said was good, but this dish is great too. I figure once I tell you about it, you could just saute up 2-3 bunches of green onions if you like it with tomatoes and zucchini!  Get it?

Serves 2-6 people depending on how much you like veggies!
We got 3 servings, 2 big dinner portions and a nice lunch leftover.***


Ingredients:
1 small box cherry tomatoes
2 small zucchini
1 bunch of green onions
1-2 Tbsp olive oil
Chopped parsley (option)
Kosher Salt & Fresh Ground Pepper

First, cut up ALL your veggies like shown.  I cut the green onions in about 1 1/2" pieces, the zucchini in half lengthwise, and then on the diagonal (but rounds work too!) and I cut the cherry tomatoes in half, but whole works too!


Over medium high heat, add oil to a skillet.  I use stainless steel because I think it caramelizes better, but a non-stick pan would work (and it would be easier to clean too!).  Add the green onions and saute, stirring, as you will see they pick up some color pretty quick.

After they start to pick up some nice color, add the tomatoes and cook for 1-2 minutes. 

Immediately add the zucchini and cook for another 2-3 minutes, or until you like the doneness of the zucchini. I like it still firm!

***Note about leftovers, I combined them with the leftover quinoa that I had in the fridge from the other night, plus the half of salmon I didn't eat. Squeezed some lemon on the whole thing and tossed with more seasoning salt and pepper.  My lunch is ready...

No comments:

Post a Comment