Friday, May 13, 2011

Spicy Coleslaw



I posted this recipe a long time ago as part of my Fish Tacos recipe, but I get lots of Google searches on "Spicy Coleslaw", so I decided to separate this recipe so that is was easier to find.

I use this salad A LOT for different meals, and picnics... and I promise, you will get rave reviews.  We've even used this with leftovers like steak or pork for lunches, and it is even good reheated with the meat.

Serves 4-6
Ingredients
1 16oz. bag of shredded cabbage, or one small cabbage, shredded
1/2 bunch of green onions, sliced
1/2 red onion, cut into thin slivers
1/2 red pepper, cut into thin slivers
1/2 bunch of cilantro, chopped
1-2 jalapenos, seeded and minced
2-3 Tbsp olive oil
1-2 limes, juiced
1 Tbsp cumin
Salt and Pepper


In a large bowl, add the shredded cabbage.  Sliver up the red onion, red bell pepper, slice the green onions and chop the cilantro and mince up the jalapeno. 


I always remove the seeds from my jalapeno's because that is where all the heat is.  Sometimes I wear latex gloves to protect myself from getting the juice and oils on my hands, and then my face, but I have also started cutting the jalapeno as shown in the picture below, that way it minimizes how much of the jalapeno you're touching and the seeds don't fly all over the place. 


Add the olive oil and toss, then squeeze the lime(s) over the top and toss with the cumin.  Add the salt and pepper to taste, but I have noticed that this salad takes more salt than you might think, about 1 1/2 tsp at least.  I suggest adding one lime and the salt and pepper, and then tasting to decide if you need the other lime.  I usually use two limes, but I really like the intense tangy, spicy and salty flavor.

No comments:

Post a Comment