Friday, July 8, 2011

Banana Raspberry Bran Muffins


Trying to give you some healthy options here... I'm not all about cupcakes, ya know!  Though I guess these are sorta like cupcakes... same shape... just healthy.

I tried to make these without any sugar, just molasses, thinking the banana would be good enough, and it WASN'T.  So I recommend you add some sort of sweetener if you want to have muffins that actually taste super good!  The next time, I added 1/4 cup molasses and 1/4 cup white sugar... but I would even say if you know your 'peeps' like them sweet, then add up to a 1/2 cup sugar even, plus the molasses.

I made a batch this afternoon, and promptly ate two.
I was happy.

Next morning update...
These taste even better the morning after you make them, I know, because I just had two more.

The rest, well, I am going to freeze them and whip them out one weekend when I need a little something extra.  Frozen muffins unthaw pretty quick, and you can defrost them in about 15 seconds in the microwave.  These would be great to take with your lunch and eat with your morning coffee at work, lots cheaper than buying that $3.00 and 500 calorie cinnamon chip scone at Starbucks...



Makes 12 muffins
Ingredients
1 cup Wheat Bran
1 1/2 cups Whole Wheat Flour
1 tsp Baking Powder
1 tsp Baking Soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 banana, mashed
3/4 cup Milk
1/2 cup Molasses, sugar or Honey
2 Tbsp Oil
1 Egg, beaten
1/2 cup walnuts
1/2 cup raspberries, fresh or frozen

Stir together: bran, flour, soda and baking powder. Then stir in raisins and set aside. Mash the banana, and blend with the milk, molasses, oil and egg.


Add to dry ingredients and stir until moistened. Gently fold in the walnuts and raspberries. You don't have to be gentle with the walnuts, but you don't want to smash the raspberries beyond recognition.


Spoon into greased muffin tins, or muffin papers and bake in preheated 400 degrees oven for 15 minutes or until muffins pull away from sides of cups.

Other options for these muffins:
  • Add applesauce instead of mashed up banana
  • Add blueberries instead of raspberries
  • Dried cherries, cranberries or raisins would be great too.
Here is another great muffin recipe:

2 comments:

  1. This looks AMAZING! However, is there anything else I could use in place of cow milk? Would oat milk or almond or quinoa milk be okay? My body doesn't respond well to cow milk... unfortunately.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I would certainly try oat milk or soy milk, it should work just fine!

      Delete