Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Greek Panzanella Bread Salad


This was so good, I've made it two days in a row... for myself.  The first time, I had a bunch of leftover greek salad and some sliced kalamata olive ciabatta bread that was going stale pretty quick.  Seemed a bummer to toss the bread, but I couldn't think of what I could do.  Then I remembered, last weekend, my sister made this terrific bread salad with tomatoes and some stale-ish bread. Wow... yum, how come I never thought of that?  She's so smart, she's oldest and she knows everything.  Hahaha, I love that girl! Anyways, I really couldn't blog about combining two old leftover dishes... now could I?

So, today, after working out (if you eat as much as I do, you'd better work out too), I was craving some more tangy, satisfying and fresh Greek bread salad.  Lucky I still had 4 slices of that old bread left!  Today's salad was even better because I went out and got fresh basil and chives from my garden, and then combined with beautiful small campari tomatoes, cucumbers and tangy feta, I was happy.

This salad would be a great side dish for a grilled chicken dinner, or a great salad to bring for a picnic potluck. 


Serves about 2-3
Ingredients:

2-3 cups olive bread, cut into 3/4" inch cubes
15-20 kalamata olives, pitted
4 small tomatoes, diced
2 persian cucumbers, diced
2 Tbsp fresh basil, shredded
2 oz feta, cut into 1/2" cubes
2-3 Tbsp olive oil
2 Tbsp red wine vinegar
1-2 Tbsp parsley, or chives, minced
Pepper, freshly ground
Salt... if needed.



Combine all the above and toss.  Let the salad to sit for about 30 minutes so the bread has a chance to absorb some of the liquids, especially if your bread is really dry.  Fresher bread, you could probably just toss and serve.


No comments:

Post a Comment