Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Lazy Girl Chicken with Coconut, Lime & Peanut sauce


Maybe it's just me, but I don't crave traditional food at the holidays.  I want exciting, easy, comforting food. This is the one folks.

I needed an easy dinner for 14 people on a Tuesday.
Have I mentioned that I am back to work???
What to do, what to do...

Heck, this great recipe was inspiring me, but I didn't have the time to do the stove top version, I needed to make it work in the crockpot.  I know you have heard that necessity is the mother of invention, right?

I took the totally lazy stance here, I didn't brown the chicken or anything.  I just dumped in all the stuff and turned it on.  It worked perfectly. Cook some rice, chop some condiments and go.  Everyone was happy, happy, happy.

A good 'go to' recipe for a different kind of curry. This wasn't too spicy, I think that you could please kids and people who don't like spicy food too.  Pass the Sriracha hot sauce to people like me.



Ingredients
Serves 5-7
1 14 oz. can light Coconut Milk
2/3 cup peanut butter, crunchy or smooth
1 tablespoon Thai Red Curry Paste
Juice from 1 Lime
2 tablespoons Soy Sauce
1-2 tablespoons Fish Sauce (optional, but recommended)
1 tablespoon Toasted Sesame Oil
1/4 cup cilantro, chopped (optional)
1/2 tsp Cracked Black Pepper
1/2 tsp Cayenne Pepper
2 pounds Chicken Breast or thighs, cut into 1 inch pieces
1/2 cup diced Onion
2-3 Garlic Cloves, crushed, or chopped
Optional garnishes - Chopped Cilantro, Peanuts, Green Onion, toasted coconut

Chop chicken into 1-2" chunks.  Chop onion. Add to crock pot.  Add in light coconut milk, peanut butter, fish sauce, red curry paste, lime juice, soy sauce and sesame oil  Add spices and crushed garlic.  Cover and cook over high heat for 4-6 hours in the crock pot. Serve over calrose, or jasmine rice. Serve with spicy Sriracha sauce and garnishes mentioned above.

Here it is below before I have started the crockpot:
 

Like Lazy Girl Crock pot recipes? Here's another favorite:
Lazy Girl Salsa Chicken
Lazy Girl All Veggie Chili

I like curry, I won't lie.  Here are some of my favorites:
Malaysian 10 Boy Curry
Versatile Panang Curry
Turkey Keema Curry
Mahi Mahi in Coconut Curry Sauce

3 comments:

  1. This does not look like something a lazy cook would make. That would be Hamburger Helper. This looks really good. That last picture calls my name.

    Merry Christmas to you Piper.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a Fab looking dish! This is definitely a keeper. I worked too and I like to eat and serve good good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carol! I need to make this again too, it was a big hit last time.

      Delete