Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Lazy Girl Salsa Chicken (Crock Pot)


Ok, so I'm back at work.  I remember this, you get home tired and late... what the heck are we going to EAT?  Oh yeah, I'm feeling it... but woo hoo, I did the crockpot this morning!

I kept seeing this on "Pinterest" as people kept tagging it... like crazy.
Okay, so I'm game, I looked at it.
Except it had Cream of Chicken soup in it.
Ick, I hate that stuff.
So I came up with a version I like better, with out all that crap canned soup. Maybe I haven't mentioned that I HATE canned soup yet???  Hard to believe I haven't.... I think canned soup is awful and I kind of like to talk about that!

This is a great, comforting and satisfying dish that is mostly healthy too! This recipe includes things I usually have on hand, so maybe you do too.  I meant to add a can of black beans to this, but totally forgot... I think it would be good, but either way, this is delicious.

(Not shown Canned Black Beans, Flour & garlic powder)

Serves about 6-8
Ingredients:
1 cup onion, chopped
1 minced jalapeno (optional)

4 chicken breasts, cut into 1-2" chunks
1 cup salsa
1 cup water
1-2 canned chipotle peppers (optional)
2 Tbsp flour
1 tsp garlic powder
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed (optional)

1/2 cup light sour cream
1/2 cup of grated cheddar cheese 
1/4 cup cilantro
Chopped green onions 

Cut up the onion and the jalapeno, and put into your crockpot.

NOTE:
If I never shown you how I cut jalapenos, I should do it now. This makes it an easy way to avoid the seeds and membrane and to mostly protect your hands.
Lay the pepper on its side, using a knife, cut one side off from the stem to the tip. Turn the pepper and cut on the other sides, avoiding the middle section of seeds.  You should have 4-5 pieces when you are done.  Getting rid of the middle is easy, just use the stem to throw away!


Cut the chicken into large pieces, I got about 7 chunks per chicken breast.


In a blender, I added the flour, water, chipotle peppers and salsa and gave it a quick blend to incorporate the flour equally. Pour over chicken, jalapenos and onions in the crockpot and stir to combine. Cover and cook on high for 5-6 hours, or on medium for 7-8 hours.


When ready to eat, stir in sour cream, cheese, green onions and cilantro. Serve over brown rice, or quinoa, with more shredded cheese, diced tomatoes and chopped cilantro or green onions, if desired.

I really do love my crockpot, here's some other great recipes to make your life a little easier!
Chicken White Bean Chili
Korean Pulled Pork Tacos!
Ranchero Shredded Pork
Simple BBQ Pulled Pork Sandwich or Sliders
Pork Chili Verde

No comments:

Post a Comment