Saturday, June 9, 2012

Raita Salad- Perfect with Indian Food


I make stuff up...
No, not like lying, but making up recipes that suit my taste of the day.
This is one such recipe.  I was making an Indian rubbed salmon, and needed a healthy side dish.  Lots of cucumbers, tomatoes, onions... but didn't want anything too zippy, just a nice cooling accompaniment to the intensely flavored entree.

Raita is yogurt and cucumber saucy condiment in India, something to cool the mouth when eating spicy dishes.   I just used a little nonfat plain greek yogurt as a dressing with a little garlic and lemon thrown in for good measure.  If you didn't have yogurt, I think that sour cream would probably work too.


Serves about 4
Ingredients

4 small persian cucumbers, sliced
1/4 white onion, slivered
2-3 garlic cloves, minced
1/3 cup green onions, sliced
1/4 cup greek plain yogurt
1/4 cup fresh cilantro, minced
Salt & Pepper
1/2 tsp cumin, if desired
A squeeze of lemon

Combine all the ingredients and toss lightly. Adjust seasonings as needed.  Let the salad for 10-15 minutes before serving to allow the flavors to mingle and get happy.
 

1 comment:

  1. I make something similar to this but have never added cilantro, which I will try as soon as I possibly can. Thanks for the idea.

    ReplyDelete