Saturday, June 9, 2012

Carrot Ginger Martini


Okay, so maybe a healthy martini is just wrong...?
I love ginger and I like carrot juice. I've been thinking a martini combination with both would be great. I have this friend who likes "juicing" (actually many friends like that...) who suggested "what about a juicin' martini?" with great enthusiasm.  I think enthusiasm breeds enthusiasm, don't you?
That's why that girl is my official taste kitchen employee, love that. 

My daughter liked the idea so much (remember she's the one that inspired the famous Honey Badger Martini?) that she offered to run to Whole Foods right away. "Or better yet, I will bring my new juicer to your house!!!"

It's funny to me that I have some many "juicin'" friends.  
My Mom was the first juicing maniac I ever met. 
I know, I know... many of us say our mother is the first maniac we ever met.  
Really, the only person I knew who was juicing in the the 1970's was Jack LaLane.... however, like making kim chi and sending pate de foie gras to school for my lunch, my Mom was, well.. a little different in a miraculous sort of way.

Thanks to my Mom, my enthusiastic taste tester and my daughter for inspiring this little martini in such different ways. 




Makes 1 large martini, or two pathetically small ones
Ingredients

2 jiggers Carrot Juice, (I used Carrot Orange from Trader Joe's)
2 jiggers vodka (if you had Ginger vodka, that would be great!)
1/2 jigger orange triple sec
1-2 jiggers ginger beer, or ginger ale

Add the carrot juice, vodka and triple sec in a shaker of ice.  Shake, shake, shake.  Strain into a glass and pour in a bit of the ginger beer on top. Garnish with a carrot stick,. because that's super healthy.... and funny too.

It's so healthy (nudge, nudge, wink, wink), I am sure you'll want two. 


You know martinis are NOT healthy, right?


Here's some others I should tell you about...
Blackberry Raindrop Martini

Burning Ring of Fire Martini
Coconut Water Martini
Honey Badger Martini

2 comments:

  1. I had something similar at the bar in a upscale hotel in Cartagena Colombia a few years ago. It was called a Bugs Bunny Martini. The first few sips were pretty decent when it was ice cold. By the end of the glass it tasted pretty darn awful. Sorry; this won't be one of your recipes that will be saved by me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish you lived closer, I would love to be able to have you try one and change your mind.

    ReplyDelete