Sunday, December 9, 2012

Lazy Girl Crockpot Black Bean Chili

 
I've been a little busy.
I am sure you can understand.
It could be the season, it could be the job, it could be life in general.
... I know it's just not me, right?

This recipe was so easy, so cheap and so fast to prepare, it might be just the thing to put on before you head out for a day of work, or Christmas shopping.

We headed to Ikea last night, and I was feeling very smug that I had dinner ready to go when we finally got home.  I love that place, but wow, it takes a lot out of you.  Crazy traffic and bad drivers on the way, jockeying for a parking spot, then inconsiderate aisle "campers' blocking the miles of pathways through loads of Swedish delights. I picked up my favorite staples:  candles, wood hangers and kitchen gadgets, plus picked up a load of stocking stuffers for little gal I know. 

When we got home I was ready to dish that chili into bowls and serve.
But someone else had other thoughts... 
"Hey, remember when we used to eat chili and rice? That is the ultimate comfort food for me. I'll chop some tomatoes...".
Someone has a way of getting his way.
Ahem... hold please, while dinner waits for the rice to cook.

Oh well, it was a good idea and delicious too. If you chose to just have a bowl or chili au natural, or if you try it over rice.  It will be tasty, warm and comforting.




Serves about 6
Ingredients

2 cans black beans, undrained
2 cans diced tomatoes with juice
1 lb. ground beef
1 onion, chopped
1 bell pepper, chopped
2-3 chipotle peppers (canned with some sauce)
2-3 garlic cloves, or 1 tsp granulated garlic
2 Tbsp cocoa powder
2 Tbsp chili powder
1 Tbsp cumin
1 Tbsp smoked paprika
Salt & Pepper to taste (when it's done cooking)


Saute up the onions and peppers over medium high heat.  Add to the crock pot.  Brown the hamburger and add to the crock pot too. Mince up the chipotle peppers and add to the mix.  Open the cans and add all the spices and cocoa powder.  

Cook in your crockpot on high for 4 hours, or low for 8 hours.

NOTE:  You could do this in a dutch oven on the stove top too, it could be ready to eat in under an hour. 



1 comment:

  1. I appreciate the notation about being able to make it in a Dutch oven on the stove top if necessary.
    It became necessary!
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete