Monday, April 22, 2013

Greek Tzatziki- Even Better


I had these great memories of the yogurt from a Greek trip that we took over 20 years ago.
Creamy, yummy and so amazing.  
You could eat it with honey and it tasted like a dessert, or the fantastic Greek condiment that is served with almost everything in Greece, Tzatziki. I lusted after that stuff, and I always thought it was the yogurt that made it so good. That was back before you could get Greek yogurt in the U.S. Early on my blog, I posted a recipe for Chicken Souvlaki and a mini recipe for tzatziki, but it wasn't what I wanted.  Something was definitely still missing, it just didn't taste like what I remembered.

Recently, we returned to Greece and this time, I was bound and determined to make it right.  We ate lunch at a tiny outdoor taverna in the Plaka area of Athens.
OMG... that stuff was A-M-A-Z-I-N-G.
What in the world made it so much better there?

Well, this is certainly the best tzatziki I have made, and my friends and family are raving too.  I'm not sure this is anything close to what they do in Greece, but this tastes right to us.
I used half sour cream and half Greek yogurt.  It gives it the thick and creamy consistency that is fresh and delicious condiment on anything: veggies, pita bread, souvlaki, crackers, even your hamburger. 

In the interest in FULL DISCLOSURE,  these photos are from my first attempt of Tzatziki once I returned from the trip. I did it again because:
  • The Persian cucumbers I used were bitter and I wasn't happy with them  I recommend using a basic regular ole' cucumber, peeled. If the seeds are big, remove those too.
  • I chopped my cucumber, onion and garlic VERY finely in my food processor, more finely than these pictures show.  I drained them for about 10 minutes, even pushing down on the mixture to get rid of as much liquid as possible.
  • I used less onion... only 1/4 instead of a 1/2 onion.  It's up to you though.

Makes about 2 cups
Ingredients

1 cup Greek nonfat yogurt
1 cup sour cream
1 cucumber, peeled 
1/4 onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves
Salt & pepper


 Remember, pulse chop your cucumber MORE finely than I show below.


Drain 10 minutes, squeezing the mixture with a spoon to remove as much of the liquid as possible.


Mix into the sour cream and yogurt mixture.  Season with salt and pepper and let the mixture rest and meld the flavors for 10-15 minutes before serving.
 

Eat and Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment