Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Spicy Mexican Tomato Soup


It rained all weekend. 
And... I... mean... ALL... weekend. 
You know what they say about April showers right?
Yeah, they suck.  
Hahahaha, sorry about that.  
I just wanted a little warmth and sunshine.
So I made my own.... soup is warm and brightens anyone's day.

I dreamed this up on the way home from a Sunday shopping trip to Ikea.  Yeah, nerves were frazzled as we drove through the rain in our big ole' beater truck,on our way home with more DIY projects than anyone should take on in one trip. Hungry, and borderline crabby, we needed some lunch pronto!

Full disclosure...
Soup is my favorite food group.
Tomato is the top of that list.
Spicy is on the top of every food group list.
The perfect trifecta for my family.. I  mean, me.

This soup was ready to go in under 20 minutes, and I served it up with some english muffins topped with melted cheese.  Yes, the classic combination. 
All was right with the world again.

One more NOTE, I have labeled this soup as Vegan, Dairy and Gluten Free but I have shown it with grated cheese and sour cream.  Clearly, if you want Vegan or Dairy free you will need to omit that.


Makes about 7-8 cups, serves 4-6
Ingredients


1-2 Tbsp olive oil
1 medium onion, diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp chili powder
1 28 oz can of tomatoes
4 cups chicken, or vegetable broth
1-2 canned chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, minced
Salt & pepper to taste (I used smoked salt...)

Overr medium high heat, saute the diced onions in olive until they start to caramelize and get a little brown color.  Add the garlic and cook for another 2-3 minutes. 


Then add the cumin and chili powder, heat until fragrant about 1-2 minutes.  Careful not to inhale too much, gets kind of spicy!

Add broth, tomatoes, chipotles and all the rest of the ingredients.  Simmer for 5 to 10 minutes.  Let cool a bit, then blend until smooth with a stick blender, or in a regular blender.  Be sure to cover your blender with a towel, because hot liquids tend to "expand" when you blend them, and you really, really do NOT want this to fly all over the place.


Return to the pot and adjust seasonings to your liking.  It may need a bit more salt, or even chili powder if you like it spicy.  Re-heat to serve at once, or chill for another meal.  It's a great make ahead soup, and perfect for lunches too.

If you like SOUPS, especially SPICY RED soups, please check these out.  They are some of my favorites:

Albondigas, Mexican Meatball Soup
Egyptian Red Lentil Soup
Jambalaya Soup, Easy 

Lasagna Soup with Spinach Ricotta

Mediterranean Tomato Soup
Pork and Chorizo Soup
Portuguese Linguica Sausage, Bean and Kale Stew 

Southwestern Seafood Chowder




No comments:

Post a Comment