Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Arugula Salad with Watermelon, Feta & Mint


A very easy and refreshing salad.
And good for you, did I mention that?
We had a pizza recently that was topped with arugula, feta and watermelon.
Weird?  Yes... and delicious too.
It was basically a yummy artisan pizza with cheese, top with salad.
I'm fine with that.
I've seen and tasted people's watermelon,mint and feta salads before, but frankly, I thought they were missing something.  Something zippy, and peppery... like arugula!
I even used balsamic vinegar for the dressing.
Some of you know how much I do NOT like balsamic vinegar... so dark, so sweet.  It's everything that I don't want dressing to be... except on THIS salad.
(That's sort of like me saying I was wrong...)

Here's a couple things to remember,
Toss the greens with the dressing, and then top with the watermelon, feta and tomatoes (if using) and toss it again.  That way your feta and watermelon don't get all weird and dark colored.

About the mint...  it's totally optional, we tried it both ways, two days in a row.  I think we like it best without the mint. But it's up to you.



Serves about 6
Ingredients

1/2 bag spinach, about a 9-12 oz bag
1/2 bag arugula,about a 9-12 oz bag
1 cup feta, crumbled
2 cups watermelon, cut into 3/4 inch cubes
10-12 golden cherry tomatoes, halved or quartered (optional)
1-2 Tbsp fresh mint, minced (optional)
1 Tbsp fresh chives, minced (optional)
2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 tsp dry mustard, or dijon mustard
Salt and pepper

I make the dressing in the bottom of the bowl, using a whisk to incorporate the mustard until the dressing emulsifies. 


Add the greens (and fresh herbs, if using) and toss.
Top with the feta, watermelon and golden cherry tomatoes. 


No comments:

Post a Comment