Thursday, June 26, 2014

Spicy Feta Dip


Found this recipe on a blog called HowSweetEats,  then I saw the recipe, I wasn't going to make it .
I mean... really? 
You want me to roast 3 jalapenos AND bake a bulb of garlic for an hour?

How much time do you think I have?

But, since it involves Feta, then I am SO in...  I changed a couple of things to make it faster and easier, plus, of course, I made mine a little spicier.  
Spread this stuff on pita, chips, burgers, mix into salads, on your finger. Just eat it.

Makes a little over 1 cup 
Ingredients

8 ounces
of feta cheese
3 whole jalapeno peppers
1/4 cup olive oil
1 bulb garlic
the juice of half a lemon (or even lime!)
the zest of half a lemon (or even lime!)
salt and pepper

Preheat the grill to HOT. 
Add about 8 garlic cloves to a small piece of foil and make a packet, adding a tiny bit of olive oil so it doesn't stick.  Add jalapenos and the garlic "foil envelope" to the grill and cook for about 20-25 minutes.  The garlic should be soft and squishable, and the jalapenos soft and starting to char. Remove both from grill and let cool. Once jalapenos are cooled, remove skins, cut in half and discard the seeds. Chop into small pieces. I use latex gloves to do this, but whatever you do, don’t touch your eyes! P.S. if the jalapeno skins don't come off, don't worry about it and add it to the dip.  No big deal.

In a large bowl, crumble the feta.


Add chopped jalapenos, the zest of half a lemon, and the juice of half a lemon )or lime works too. Squish the roasted garlic and mix directly into the feta. Add 1/4 cup of olive oil and mash with a fork. 

Taste the feta and season with salt and pepper. Serve with pita chips, warm pita or naan, or spread it on sandwiches. Store it in the fridge for up to one week – I find that I like it best at room temperature, so allow it to sit out for about 30 minutes before serving. 

I think this would be good with chopped dried tomatoes, or kalamata olives too. 

 What was on my blog...
One year ago?  Shrimp and Cream Cheese Omelette
Two years ago? Butternut Squash Waldorf Salad
Three years ago?  Breakfast Migas (scramble)

No comments:

Post a Comment