Friday, June 6, 2014

Watermelon Margarita


There is something fresh and wonderful about a Watermelon margarita.
I bought a couple baby watermelons recently and when I cut into them, I wasn't thrilled with the texture. 
You know... when it gets a bit spongy and the texture is nasty?
I didn't want to throw them away, the taste of the watermelon was yummy and sweet, just icky texture.
So I made watermelon margaritas!

There are lots of recipes online, but some reviews said they were a bit dull.  I figured that was from being diluted by the ice.  My idea?
The secret to this drink is frozen watermelon.  Cut the rind off a watermelon, cut into chunks and freeze the night before. A great way to use leftover watermelon... Summer's coming, Better get that freezer ready for parties!  Right?  Am I wrong?  I didn't think so.

We found this drink to be sweet enough without any added sugar, or syrup, but if you watermelon isn't tasty enough, add a bit of simple syrup, agave syrup or even white sugar or Splenda.
 
Here's a picture of my ziploc bag of frozen watermelon.  I did have to break the chunks up a bit so it was easier to blend, still, it was easier than grinding up ice cubes, and adds more flavor.

 
Serves 2-3

Ingredients

3 1/2 cups cubed seeded watermelon, frozen
3 jiggers tequila, I had a Strawberry Tequila
1 fresh lime, juiced
1 jigger Grand Marnier or Triple Sec (orange-flavored liqueur)
Lime wedges or watermelon balls for garnish

Place 2 teaspoons salt, or sugar in a saucer. Rub the rims of glasses with water; spin rim of each glass in salt, or sugar, to coat. Set prepared glasses aside.
Combine previously frozen watermelon, tequila, lime juice and Triple Sec and next 4 ingredients (through Triple Sec or Grand Marnier) in a blender; process until smooth. Fill each prepared glass Garnish with lime wedges or melon balls, if desired.

NOTE- A friend gave us a Strawberry tequila (it may have been a joke...) but I am going to try the NEXT batch with that....  isn't that nice of me?



No comments:

Post a Comment