Friday, June 13, 2014

Pork With Cherry Sauce



I'm kind freaky for the Bonne Maman Cherry Preserves... I love the taste, and I won't lie, I love those jars with the gingham check top.  When I see this jam on sale, I usually buy a couple.  It's kind of silly for me to buy jam, as I usually have my pantry stuffed to the top with my homemade jams....

Sliced pork tenderloin is such an easy thing to buy and make quickly at home.  I like to pick one up and have it ready to go for a busy work week, so I'm always watching, and thinking up new ideas to use it.

Thanks to Martha for the inspiration for her recipe of Martha's Pork with Cherry Sauce.  Her recipe looked terrific but I didn't have frozen cherries in my freezer, so I had to improvise.




Serves 4
Ingredients

1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 1/2 lb pork tenderloin, cut into 1-inch slices and each pounded 1/4 inch thick
Coarse salt and pepper
3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
2 large shallots, thinly sliced (about 1 cup), or use onions, as a substitute
1/4-1/2 cup dry red wine
1/4 cup chicken broth
1/4 cup Cherry Jam
Optional, 1/4 cup dried cherries, chopped

Place flour in a shallow dish. Season pork with salt and pepper on both sides, then coat lightly with flour, shaking off excess.  If you pork slices are a bit thick, go ahead and pound them a bit to make them thinner.  If you don't have a mallet, you could use a rolling pin, or even an empty bottle.


In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium-high. Working in batches, cook pork until browned and cooked through, about 2 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate and tent loosely with foil.


Add remaining 2 tablespoons oil and shallots, and cook until softened, 6 to 8 minutes. on. Add 1/4 cup wine and broth and cook, stirring, until reduced by half, about 3 minutes. Add cherry jam and cook until softened, about 2 minutes. Return pork to pan along with any accumulated juices and cook until sauce has thickened slightly, 2 minutes. Add more wine if the sauce gets too thick.  

Here's what's been happening on my blog around, or on, this date over the years...

One year ago: In n' Out Burger (travel)
Two years ago: Indian Spiced Salmon
Three years ago:  Tilapia Provencal


Serve over polenta, or just with a side salad and some fresh crusty bread.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment