Friday, January 9, 2015

Hamburger Crust Pizza- Low Carb & Delicious

 (this looks a little greasy, however, this is mostly meat juices if you use lean ground beef 88%)

It's amazing how happy the suggestion of a dinner idea can make some people.
After I mentioned this in passing  to my husband, he kept bringing it up.
When are you going to make it?
What do you need at the store?
Need any help?

The funny thing about this dish is that my Mom made it years ago when we were kids, and I remembered it fondly too.  So I guess I was pretty excited to eat it as well.

If you are "low carbing" it , or just want a fun idea for dinner, a hamburger crust pizza will surely fit the bill.  We ate the leftovers in our lunches, and it was a very satisfying lunch too.


Whoops, I forgot something!


Here you see the Canadian bacon and pepperoni that I used!














Serves 4
Ingredients

1 1/2 lb Lean ground beef (88% lean is good- I use fresh from Costco)
Salt & pepper
1 1/2 tsp garlic powder
1-2 tsp oregano

Mix altogether, press meat mixture into a pie plate and up the sides.  I used the largest quiche dish I have... about 11", but a large pie plate would work too.


Bake, without any topping, at 375 for 10 minutes, pour off any grease.

Foolishly, I added the sauce, so it was a bit tricky to pour off the accumulated fat and juices.








Then add:  
1/2 cup pizza sauce, or thick spaghetti sauce (recipe for a quick one below)
Sliced pepperoni 
Chopped canadian bacon
Chopped onions
Sliced olives
Sauteed mushrooms (raw mushrooms will release too much water...)
Bell pepper, sliced or chopped (optional)
1 cup mixture of mozzarella and cheddar cheese, grated

Bake another 10 minutes
Cut into wedges and serve.


You can see here that the whole thing DOES shrink a bit....



I was able to lift this to a cutting board with two spatulas.



Here's a picture of a slice, ready to eat!

Recipe for easy pizza sauce:
1- 15 oz can of diced stewed tomatoes with basil and garlic
1- 4 oz can of tomato paste
A little dried, or fresh garlic
Salt and pepper

Process this in your mini chopper, food processor and blender.  Yummy!


1 comment:

  1. My mother made me this when I was only 6 years old! Thanks so much for the memories!! *heart emoji*

    ReplyDelete