Sunday, January 4, 2015

Mexican Avocado Chicken "Parmigiana"



This one is obviously NOT Chicken Parmigiana.
Not Italian at all.
However, the technique is a bit similar, hence my name for this dish.

I pan seared some seasoned chicken breasts on both sides, added a bit of enchilada sauce, layered on some avocado slices, springs of fresh cilantro and some slices of cheese.
Voila! I mean... Ole.

We've been trying to eat low carbthis month to take off a couple of pounds from the holidays.  I always forget how much better I feel off of carbs... maybe it's the gluten, as our daughter is very much gluten free feeling so much better when no one "slips her some gluten".  I think this recipe is a keeper for many people, whether low carb, gluten free or whatever.  It's exceedingly tasty.

One note, I have never eaten hot avocados, and I must say, they are exceedingly delicious like this.  I may have to think of some other ways to use them.


Serves 2
Ingredients

2 chicken breasts
Salt & Pepper
Cumin
Cayenne or Chili Powder
1/2 cup enchilada sauce (or make some from my recipe here)
1 small avocado, thinly sliced
Cilantro Springs (optional)
Cheddar Cheese, thinly sliced or grated Mexican blend cheese

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees

Season up the chicken breasts using as much, or as little spice as you like. Pan fry on both sides in a medium hot pan with some olive oil or non-stick spray.  Depending on the thickness of your chicken, it may take about 5 minutes per side.
They look pretty tasty like this too...
Top with a little enchilada sauce and some slices of avocado, springs of cilantro (optional) and some slices of cheese. Pop into the hot oven for about 5 minutes until the cheese is melted.  Don't leave it in there too long... all your cheese could melt off!



 Yummy...

 










HEY!  I know you are all wondering what I did with that ginormous can of enchilada sauce?
Well, obviously I didn't use the whole thing, so I packaged it up into about 3 one cup containers, labeled it and put them in the freezer. Smart, no?  Remember not to fill the containers too much, as liquids expand when they freeze and the lids could pop off in the freezer.  As you can see, I filled these too full.  I spooned some out right after this picture.... 


No comments:

Post a Comment