Thursday, September 8, 2011

BBT- Bacon, Basil & Tomato Sandwich


Hey, do you have a lot of tomatoes all of a sudden?
Yup, me too.
Oh, don't be impressed with my tomato growing abilities... my tomato plants look ridiculous; only the cherry tomatoes look like something I want to eat. Luckily, I know people, people with relatives who give them large quantities of fresh produce.  I am one happy neighbor, and I love those sharing people next door.

I will admit to Googling "tomato recipes"... I wasn't feeling too inspired. The only thing I could think of is homemade ketchup... nah, I must admit I prefer Heinz to make it for me and to keep it coming.  If you ever go to Red Robin with me for a burger, don't even think of keeping the ketchup on your side of the table. Nope, has to be by me. What's that you say? Yes, I AM bossy.

Anyway, I digress. Sunset magazine has this great link with 27 Tomato recipes, and if you have lots of tomatoes, you really should check it out.  This was the first idea on Sunset's page, and since I lots of basil, and some fresh Artisan Bread that I can slice up and a hubby who thinks it's his job to cook up a whole pound of bacon every Sunday regardless of us only eating a couple of pieces, I knew this would be just the thing for lunch! But you could make it for dinner...

I know it's just a sandwich... but it really sounded good to me, and heck, maybe you hadn't thought of this yet either!?!



For each sandwich:
2 slices great quality  bread
1 tomato, sliced
2-3 slices of bacon, crisp
5-6 big leaves of basil (or arugula)
Some good mayo ( or goat cheese!!!.. that's what I used)
Salt & Pepper

I'm not sure I really need to tell you how to do this... layer it up, salt & peppering your tomatoes to your hearts content. I ate mine open faced so I could get the maximum amount of stuff on ONE piece of bread!

Here's my other favorite (so far) tomato recipes, the recipes called for canned tomatoes... but you can chop up your own, y'know!?
Ratatouille
Tilapia Provencal
Mediterranean Tomato Soup
Gazpacho

No comments:

Post a Comment