Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Grilled Greek Potato Salad


This has everything I want in a potato salad.... it's Greek!
I've have never, ever been a fan of traditional potato salad with all that mayo, mushy potatoes and chopped eggs.  But the story is completely different with grilled potatoes, feta, olives and green beans in a tangy dressing.
Oh yeah, keep it coming!

I wish I had made this salad earlier in the Summer, I would have made it more often.  Yesterday was nice, but Fall leaves were swirling around me as I stood and grilled my potatoes.  Dang it... going to have to say Goodbye to Summer, but I can still make this salad, right?  In the Winter, I will just oven roast my potatoes and make it again. 

I was inspired to make this salad by watching Bobby Flay's Greek Grilling episode. I reduced the amount of olive oil and omitted the honey... and then added the roasted red peppers too, because I LOVE them. I almost always have a jar open in the fridge, and one or two in my pantry.  Roasted peppers are great in everything, and add a nice little color to this salad too!


Serves 4-6
Ingredients
1 1/2 lb. small wax potatoes (red or yukon gold)
2 cups green beans, fresh or frozen
1/2 cup roasted red peppers, chopped
4 oz. feta, cubed
12-15 kalamata olives, chopped

1/2 cup olive oil (plus more for roasting)
3 Tbsp. red wine vinegar
3 Tbsp lemon juice
1 Tbsp dijon mustard
Coarse Salt
Fresh Pepper

Parboil the whole potatoes for about 7 minutes.  They won't be cooked through yet, but they will be starting to soften. Cool the potatoes, and cut into quarters, or halves, depending on the size. 


Make a foil grill pan with double thickness of foil, and crimp a small edge to keep the potatoes, and oil, on the pan.  Use about 1/4 cup of olive oil and toss the potatoes to coat completely.  Generously salt and pepper the potatoes. 


Grill over medium hot coals for 7-10 minutes.


While the potatoes are cooking, make the dressing.  In a large bowl, combine the red wine vinegar, lemon juice and dijon mustard.  Mix with a whisk, then add the olive oil slowly while whisking to emulsify the dressing. Set aside.

Chop the roasted red peppers and the kalamata olives, add to the bowl. Cube the feta, add to the bowl.

Green beans, I used small frozen french beans that were already in 2-3 inch lengths, so I just thawed them and added to the salad.  If you are using fresh beans, you will need to cut them into lengths and quickly parboil them.  You want some crunch, so 2-3 minutes should do it.  Drain and cool.

When the potatoes are cooked to your liking, cool and then add to the salad.  Mix well and adjust seasoning.  Because I had generously sprinkled my potatoes as they cooked, I didn't need to add any additional salt to the salad, as feta and kalamata olives are somewhat salty.

Here's a couple more of my favorite Greek dishes.  
Greek Panzanella Bread Salad
Baked Prawns with Feta and Orzo Pasta
Avgolemono- Greek Wedding Soup
Greek Chicken Souvlaki and Tzatziki Sauce

3 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Hi Lisa, you can print the whole email, but there is no separate printable copy of the recipe only.

      Delete
    2. Hi Lisa, you can print the whole email, but there is no separate printable copy of the recipe only.

      Delete