Saturday, September 10, 2011

Greek Spinach Pinwheels


My sister invented this... and I thought it was brilliant! At family gatherings, we always used to each those little Greek spanakopita appetizers out of spinach, feta in phyllo.  Well, if you've never made those... they are a TON Of work. Plus, when you eat them you are showered with little flakes of phyllo.  This is much easier to make and eat.

Also, you could make these up ahead and keep in the freezer to bake when you need a quick appetizer.  You could freeze it in the 'logs' or even slice them and freeze them.

Make sure that your filling is well seasoned, if not, then your appetizer will be too bland.  Puff pastry is pretty bland on it's own, so I added a whole teaspoon of seasoning salt. 

Makes about 36
Ingredients:
2 sheets frozen puff pastry, thawed
2 cups fresh spinach
1/2 cup feta cheese
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
1 egg, beaten
1 tsp seasoning salt (I used Cavenders Greek Seasoning, my fave!)

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.

I threw my spinach in the food processor with the crumbled feta and grated Parmesan and blended until it was a bit chunky. Add beaten egg and mix thoroughly.


Spread half the mixture on top of the puff pastry.


Don't go all the way to the edge that you are rolling up to, leave about 1/2" plain. Roll it up.


Wrap each log in wax paper or plastic wrap and re-freeze for 15-20 minutes until firm. Slice into 1/4" -1/3" inch slices.



Place the slices on parchment paper or a silpat non-stick liner.  Mine stuck because I didn't use my silpat!!  Darn it! They were still fine, but it was work getting them off the pan!


Bake at 400 for 15 minutes until crispy around the edges. Best served the same day that you bake them.

4 comments:

  1. What a great idea! Love that you can freeze them. I have often bought the frozen puff pastry and then it stayed in my freezer for months. Now I know what to do with it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where does the egg come in?

    ReplyDelete
  3. My apologies, the egg goes into the mixture of spinach and parmesan cheese. I have changed the posting to correct. Thank you for letting me know!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We used the egg as an egg wash haha oh well they came out great we will just have to try it again!

    ReplyDelete