Monday, June 27, 2011

Italian Wedding Soup with Turkey Meatballs


I was trying to do two things at once, as usual, and didn't catch the details of Ina Garten's Italian Wedding Soup.  Later, when I was hungry for lunch and nothing sounded good, I remembered the soup and that I had a package of turkey sausage and a bag of spinach that I needed to use in the fridge.  I whipped up this soup in about 20-25 minutes.  It would be an easy dinner during the week, or a great lunch with friends.

As I was getting ready to post this, I looked up Ina's recipe in order to give her some credit and link to the original recipe.  Her's looks really good, but mine is easier and quicker. 

Serves about 4
Ingredients:
2-3 carrots, diced
1/2 onion, diced
3-4 stalks celery, diced
1 Tbsp Olive Oil
20 oz package of Turkey sausage
1 egg
9-10oz. bag of baby spinach
6 cups chicken stock
1/2 cup orzo, or other small pasta
1 tsp Italian Seasoning
1 tsp garlic powder
1 Tbsp lemon juice (optional)
Salt & Pepper


I used a cookie scoop to make the turkey meatballs... they weren't totally round, but my hands stayed clean and it was FAST!  Simmer the soup and meatballs for about 5 minutes and then add the spinach... you are almost there!


Here's what the spinach looked like after I dumped the whole bag in.... it cooks down in about 2-3 minutes. 


Top with Parmesan Cheese and serve:


I am a HUGE soup lover, here's some others that you may like too:
Albondigas, Mexican Meatball Soup
Chicken Tortilla Soup
Mediterranean Tomato Soup
Mexican Chicken Posole Stew
Pork and Chorizo Soup

2 comments:

  1. Hi Piper, Are there directions on this recipe? For some reason I can only see ingredients (no pics or directions). Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Julie! My apologies! It looks like I need to add these in.
      Saute the veggies in a bottom of a stock pot
      2-3 carrots, diced
      1/2 onion, diced
      3-4 stalks celery, diced
      1 Tbsp Olive Oil
      -When they are softened add the chicken stock and bring to a boil. Reduce to simmer while you make meatballs.

      Make the meatballs in a separate bowl.
      20 oz package of Turkey sausage
      1 egg
      9-10oz. bag of baby spinach, chopped

      Add the raw meatballs to the simmering broth and simmer for 15-20 minutes. Add Orzo pasta about 10 minutes before the meatballs are done.

      Add seasonings and taste for flavor.
      1 tsp Italian Seasoning
      1 tsp garlic powder
      1 Tbsp lemon juice (optional)
      Salt & Pepper

      Delete