Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Lemon-Lime Basil Shortbread Cookies


I got my new Bon Appetit yesterday, and needed to make these today.  I pretty much followed the July 2011 issue's entire recipe for Lemon-Lime Basil Shortbread Cookies, only changing (and noting) a couple of things. I used lime juice instead of lemon juice, topped with flaked salt instead of sugar AND (the big AND) I only baked for 15 minutes.  Their recipe says 20 minutes, which would have burnt mine to a crisp... kinda thinking it may be their recipe, not my oven, since I tend to be right on the baking length on other recipes. 

I think the basil flavor is very subtle, almost unnoticable, and so did our son, but my husband said it was strong (he actually said "pesto" to which I said "no way")... so there you go, not sure how you'll feel.  These would be great with a glass of crisp white wine, or sangria before dinner, almost like a mini appetizer.  Though, I will happily eat these with a cup of coffee, or tea, any afternoon.


Makes about 18-20 cookiesIngredients
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup powdered sugar plus more for pressing cookies
1/2 cup (1stick) chilled unsalted butter, cut into 1/2" cubes
2 tablespoons sliced fresh basil leaves
1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
1 teaspoon finely grated lime zest plus 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
Coarse flake salt or Sanding sugar (optional)

Preheat oven to 375°. Place flour, 1/2 cup powdered sugar, butter, basil, both zests, lemon juice, and salt in a food processor.


Pulse until large, moist clumps form.


Measure level tablespoonfuls of dough; roll between your palms to form balls. Place on a large baking sheet, spacing 2" apart. Lightly dust the bottom of a flat measuring cup with powdered sugar and press cookies into 2" rounds, dusting cup bottom with powdered sugar as needed to prevent sticking. Sprinkle tops of cookies with sanding sugar, if using.


Bake until edges are brown, about 14-15 minutes.
Transfer to a wire rack; let cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment