Thursday, October 20, 2011

Green Apple, Cabbage & Hazelnut Coleslaw


I wasn't sure I was going to blog about this, but it tasted so darn good and fresh, I had to share.

It has a nice tang from the green apple, and the hazelnuts give it a yummy crunch and a great flavor with the veggies.  This salad would be a great side dish for any meal.  We had ours with our pulled pork sandwiches.  I just had the pork and the salad together without the bread, and I was very happy and satisfied.



Serves 4-6
Ingredients
1/2 head of green, or red, cabbage- shredded- about 4 cups
1 granny smith apple, thinly sliced and sliced into matchsticks
1 large carrot, grated
1 Tbsp hazelnut oil, or olive oil
1 Tbsp red wine vinegar, or cider vinegar
1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
1/2 cup toasted hazelnuts, chopped
Salt & pepper

Toast the hazelnuts in a 350 degree F oven for about 10 minutes and cool. You can rub the nuts together to get some of the brown skin off the nuts, or you can leave it. Chop.

Shred the cabbage, grate the carrot, and cut the apples into small pieces. 


In the bottom of a large bowl, mix the oil, vinegar and hazelnut oil.  Add the veggies and toss.  Add salt and pepper to taste.  I didn't want too much dressing, but if you like a more "wet" salad, go ahead and double the dressing.

1 comment:

  1. Great minds! I love that you added hazelnuts to your slaw, genius.

    ReplyDelete