Sunday, October 30, 2011

Roasted Butternut Squash Soup


I hope all my soups aren't orange?
They are?
I knew it... I was just checking to see if you noticed.

Orange is my FAVORITE color... you know those old gals that wear "purple and red"?
Nope, I will not be one of those gals, but maybe I will start an orange and hot pink club. Definately more my style.

Hmmm, not exactly sure why all my soups are orange, but it could be that I like tomatoes, curry powder and squash- - which just so happen to all be orange-y red colors and do a wonderful job imparting their colorful glow (either together, or separately) onto all that they touch, like happiness.
Isn't that nice?

It was a lazy Sunday, one where we slept in, lazed around eating a yummy brunch, and then finally took our walk. Whew, then we're SO tired, we had to finish lazing about for the remainder of the day.  I roasted some veggies I needed to use, thinking they'd be good for a Sunday dinner side dish, but also with an ulterior motive for soup!

Just in case you are wondering, while my oven was stinking hot, I also roasted some sweet potatoes that I really needed to use, plus I microwaved a spaghetti squash at the same time too. This gives me a plethora of veggies in the fridge to do yummy ( and quick) things for dinner.

Ingredients:
Makes about 4-6 servings of soup
3-4 cups butternut squash (1 med squash), cubed into 1" pieces
1 large onion, cubed into 1" pieces
3-4 cups yukon gold potatoes (about 6 medium), cubed into 1" pieces
5-6 garlic cloves
5-6 Tbsp olive oil
4 cups broth (vegetable or chicken)
Salt & Pepper to taste

HEY- If you like, you could also roast some carrots, some fennel (dang it! I had one I should have used) or other veggies at the same time. I haven't found a combination of veggies that weren't improved by roasting them.  I even like Brussels Sprouts and Broccoli roasted!

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees
Toss the cut up veggies with a tablespoon, or two, of olive oil and throw in your garlic cloves, whole, too.  There is no need to make separate pans of the veggies... I just DID for some reason. Spread onto a baking sheet, in a single layer.  You want each veggie to have contact with the hot pan for carmelization!

Roast about 20-25 minutes.  When you check on them, be careful, the oven is hot and steamy, so don't stick your face too close for a bit.
Did you know mascara melts?
Yep, it does...


Here's a serving plate of the roasted veggies, we ate this with a couple of steaks. Sorry, you Vegans.. I like to make you stuff but still am eating meat!


We ate about a quarter of what I roasted, and the rest I threw into my blender.
I added the broth, or water, and blended until smooth.
Once you think it's smooth, blend just a little bit more. 
Taste and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper.


Here's some more yummy Fall soups and all of these could be made vegetarian or vegan quite easily!

Curried Cauliflower Soup
Hearty Sausage & Lentil Soup (leave out the sausage, or find a meatless substitute)
Mediterranean Tomato Soup
Moroccan Vegetable Stew
Southwestern Seafood Chowder
Split Pea Soup


No comments:

Post a Comment