Thursday, October 6, 2011

Peruvian Chicken, Quinoa & Olive Stew


Comforting, easy and yummy.

Some days I am not inspired to talk about food.
This was good, I will make it again.
I made up the name... the Peruvian part. 
I have no idea if there are garbanzos or olives in "Peruvian" cooking.
I am pretty darn sure they have quinoa, and chickens.
Quinoa comes from Lake Titicaca, which is fun to say, and in Peru.
It is spelled just like it sounds.
I digress.

I lifted this recipe from Sunset Magazine (October 2011).
I changed it, no surprise there.
We didn't like all the orange zest they called for.
Hey, do they have oranges in Peru?

I like quinoa in soups I have decided.
They don't get "weird" like noodles or rice.
They are better for you than noodles and rice.

Not bad eh?  Maybe inspiration will hit me later...
Maybe I should drink a complete cup of coffee before attempting blogging first thing in the morning.

(Orange is shown for zest, but I'd recommend lime instead)

Serves 4-6
Ingredients
4 cups chicken broth
2 pounds boned, skinned chicken thighs
              OR 3 cups shredded chicken 
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 large onion, finely chopped
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1 teaspoon dried oregano (preferably Mexican)
3 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon cayenne
1 can diced canned tomatoes
1 teaspoon lime zest
1/2 cup quinoa
1 can cooked chickpeas (garbanzos), rinsed if canned
1 cup pimiento-stuffed small green olives

Preparation
Bring broth to a simmer in a large, heavy-bottomed pot over medium-high heat. Add chicken and lower heat to a simmer. Cook chicken, covered, 15 to 20 minutes, or until cooked through; transfer to a plate. Pour broth into a large bowl and set aside. Wipe out pot. Add oil, onion, and salt to pot and cook over medium heat until onion softens and is starting to brown, about 10 minutes.



Stir in cumin, coriander, oregano, ancho chile powder, cayenne and garlic; cook 2 minutes. Add chopped tomatoes, reserved broth, zest, and quinoa. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, until a white ring appears around each quinoa seed, 10 to 15 minutes. Meanwhile, shred chicken.



Add shredded chicken, chickpeas, and olives and heat through.

No comments:

Post a Comment