Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Jambalaya Sandwich


I saw Guy Fieri do this sandwich about 8 months ago on TV. 
I've been thinking of it ever since.
What's not to like about a jambalaya sandwich?

Some people, purists like my sister, might enjoy it best in the traditional way with rice.
But I have a very nice recipe already on my blog for Jambalaya, and I needed it in a sandwich! 
What an easy way to fill a bun; meat, sauce, veggies and zesty spices dumped into your bread of choice and enjoyed right away.  I wouldn't want to eat jambalaya on a hot day, but I would always, always want it in a sandwich!

What about you?
If so, go for it!

This is easy and comes together quickly too.  My only advice is to use a sturdy roll or baguette for this.  The hoagie rolls I used were too soft and after a couple of minutes made the bread soggy so we couldn't pick these up anymore.... though it just might have been the amount of sauce I added to mine. I love sauce...


Serves 6-8
Ingredients

1 cup peppers
1 cup onions
1 cup celery
3-4 garlic cloves, crushed or minced
1-3 Tbsp olive oil
2 chicken breasts
1 lb andouille sausage or hot links, sliced
1 lb prawns, cleaned and tails pulled off
1 can tomatoes, diced with their juice
1/2 can of tomato paste (about 2-3 Tbsp)
1 tsp thyme, dried or fresh
1 tsp oregano, dried or fresh
1-3 Tbsp Frank's red Hot, or other hot sauce
Salt & pepper to taste

Heat the oven to 300 degrees to warm your sandwich buns, if desired.

In a large dutch oven, over medium high heat, add the olive oil, onions, peppers and celery.  Saute for about 5 minutes, until the onions have started to soften up and take on some brownish color.  Add the garlic and cook 1-2 more minutes. Remove the sauteed veggies to a side plate, and use the same pan to brown the chicken in a little more oil for about 6-7 minutes, add the sausage and continue to cook for 2-3 more minutes. Add reserved cooked veggies.

This is what it looked like right before I added the tomatoes. It will be much saucier in a minute...


Add the tomatoes, tomato paste, and spices.  Bring to a boil and add the shrimp.  Turn down to medium and cook for about 2-3 more minutes until the shrimp are pink, stirring occasionally.  Add hot sauce, salt and pepper to taste. 

Add to rolls and serve!

 

2 comments:

  1. Those look like Costco sandwich rolls (of course, right?). You might try toasting them first. I've had some luck doing that with per types of sandwiches,

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've got a good eye, those ARE Costco buns. I did heat them but not enough, and I probably should have toasted the insides too! But then again, it might have been the copious amounts of sauce I added!

    ReplyDelete