Sunday, May 6, 2012

Good Ole Basic Cornbread


It takes 5 minutes to whomp this together.
It does too.
I timed myself while I was bakin' bacon.  
Sunday mornings just mean bacon and a leisurely breakfast at our house.  If you haven't learned you should bake your bacon yet, you really need to try it*. I set my timer for 11 minutes while the bacon was cooking, and I was done by the 5 minute mark with my cornbread! Of course it still had to bake but essentially, I was done!


I lifted this recipe off the Alber's cornbread box many years ago. I'd like to say I'd improved it, but I haven't made any changes that I know of...
I figured "hey, cornbread is their business", why change it! 
Except  I googled it and it looks to me that there may be more than one recipe on Alber's site.  Oh well... here's the one that I like

Our son and our daughter's boyfriend, Danny, were up this weekend, helping us with some outdoor projects. It sure is fun to feed young guys who have been working hard all day... they sure are enthusiastic about food! They are a pleasure to feed!  Danny made a bacon, tomato jalapeno jelly(recipe to come tomorrow) and cornbread sandwich with his breakfast. Oh yeah... that was good! 

 
Makes a 9x9 pan (easily doubled for a 9x13 pan)
Ingredients

1 cup cornmeal
1 cup flour
1/4-1/2 cup sugar
1 Tbsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 cup milk
1/3 cup vegetable or corn oil
1 egg, well beaten


Mix together all the dry ingredients in one bowl (cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder & salt), stir to combine. I used my mixer, but I used a regular bowl and spoon for years.




Here's my trick for measuring the wet ingredients easily; use a 2 cup measure, add 1 cup of milk, then add 1/3 cup il up to the mark on the side, add the egg and beat it all up in the milk and oil.  



Add to the dry ingredients and mix until combined.  Don't over mix, but don't over mix either. Pour into a greased baking pan (spray, butter, oil, bacon grease- all work).
 
Add to a 400 degree oven for 20-25 minutes.  I always use a glass pan, so mine tends to cook in 20 minutes, but a metal pan may that 25 minutes.  When a toothpick comes out clean, it's done.




 *Makin' Bacon the Easy Way
Lay out your slices on the pan, it takes about 2 for one pound of bacon. Pop into a 400 degree oven for 11 minutes. (I set my timer, it works).  Sometimes you need to flip your pans, it sort of depends on your bacon.

Here's a delightfully yummy cornbread that is a bit more complicated to make, but oh so delicious.
Sweet & Moist Spicy Jalapeno Cornbread 

No comments:

Post a Comment