Thursday, May 31, 2012

Mexican Cauliflower Soup for the Soul


Soup is good for the soul.
Every soul has something that could use a little repair.
I know you know that..
So,
What's up with you?
I'm thinking soup will sooth the raggedy edges and feelings... maybe not permanently, but really wouldn't feeling a little better feel good at any time?

Maybe it's the steam or is it the warmth?
It might just be the smooth texture or the satisfying, salty flavors.
The best soup is the one made for you, or the one that you made for someone to share.
Soup just does a body good.
Soup says "I love you" to those around you, or to yourself, if needed.
I love you.

This one is healthy with no milk or cream, just a little butter and cheese.  Even those could be omitted if you desired. Mexican is applied loosely here  I have no idea if this is Mexican, but it's flavors that inspire me, so that's what I used

1 head cauliflower, broken into flowerettes
4 cups broth (chicken or vegetable)
1 medium onion, roughly chopped
2 Tbsp butter, or olive oil
2-3 garlic cloves, minced
1-2 tsp chili powder
1 cup shredded cheese, optional (I used a Mexican shredded blend from a package)
Salt and Pepper to taste

In an 6 qt stockpot (medium size), add the broth and the cauliflower pieces.  Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium and cover.  It should be softened in about 8-10 minutes.

Meanwhile, in a frying pan, add the butter (or oil) and the chopped onions. Saute on medium high until they start to take on a little brown color, add the garlic and the chili powder and cook for another 2 minutes.

In a blender, or with a stick blender in your stock pot, add the onion/chili powder mixture to the broth and cauliflower mixture. 

I know this isn't the nicest looking photo... but you get the picture, right?


Blend until smooth. If you are using a regular blender, be sure to be careful, because hot mixtures tend to expand when blended, usually blowing your lid off and making a mess.  Cover the top with a pot holder, and hold that sucker... I mean LID, down.

Reheat gently, adding the cheese (if using), salt and pepper as needed. 
Serve with a little green salsa* and some more shredded cheese.

* I blended cilantro, garlic cloves, lime and little olive oil to make a great side condiment for steak the other day (it's like the best thing EVER if you like cilantro). I used the leftovers of that in my soup.... oh, so yummy!

No comments:

Post a Comment