Saturday, February 2, 2013

Buffalo Ground Turkey Meatballs


Okay,so these are way easier, and way healthier, than regular buffalo wings.
I also happen to think that they are easier to eat too!
That could mean that you would eat more... just be careful, okay?

I got this recipe off of Food.com, as I had a bunch of ground turkey, and Frank's Red Hot to use up, plus a love of Buffalo Wings.  This is an easy way to get both flavors quickly  I read the reviews of the original recipe and agreed that they may not have enough "buffalo" taste, so I made some changes. I also didn't think that I would like to have to baste the cooking meatballs.
Yawn... basting is tedious.
Tossing in Frank's Red Hot, is fun.  Totally easier too.

As a note, I did use more fresh bread crumbs than the original recipe, but did so to counteract the additional Red Hot Sauce added to the mixture.  I think it would still work with less bread crumbs (1/2 cup like the original recipe) but I have not tried it.

These meatballs are moist, tasty and easy to serve a crowd! 
You could serve this with Ranch dressing or Blue cheese... whatever you like!



Makes about 24 meatballs

Ingredients

1 lb ground turkey
1 egg
1 cup fresh breadcrumbs
1/2 cup onion, finely minced
1/4 cup Frank's Red Hot Sauce, or other buffalo sauce
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (or to taste) 

1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp salt,or more as needed*
1/2 tsp freshly ground pepper

1/2 cup buffalo wing sauce, for basting
1 cup blue cheese dressing, and
buffalo wing sauce, for dipping



Preheat oven to 350*.

Combine the first six ingredients in a large bowl, mixing completely. 

       *Note, I usually microwave a small amount for 15 seconds to check the seasoning.  
        Add more salt as needed. Remember, the Buffalo sauce is pretty salty too.

Form mixture into about 1" inch balls, I used a 1" cookie scoop and rolled them to make them round. Place meatballs on a roasting pan sprayed with Pam.
Bake 20-25 minutes, until cooked through.



Add cooked meatballs to a bowl, and toss gently with 1/2 cup of Frank's Buffalo Sauce.


Serve right away, while still hot, with celery sticks, more wing sauce and blue cheese dressing.


No comments:

Post a Comment