Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Pizza Hummus




I love hummus, umm, well actually, I should say I actually love garbanzo beans, chickpeas, ceci bean, whatever it is you like to call them.  I did some roasted one time, they were totally yummy. If you want to check it out, it's on this link here.

Pizza hummus? I saw it in a FoodNetwork Magazine and thought about it.  
Didn't take long.
OKAY, I am IN.
You know what the only thing that I might have liked in this recipe?
Yep, thinly sliced pepperoni!  But I suppose that ruins it for you vegans and vegetarians.
No matter if you decide to eat it with pepperoni, or just do the recipe as written.  
I like the flavors here, totally different and enjoyable.

Let's talk a little bit about tahini... shall we?  
Tahini is really just a sesame paste that is a bit like peanut butter only thinner. 
It can be hard to find, and maybe a bit more expensive than you think it ought to be. I found mine at the business Costco for under $4.00. But, I've been making hummus for years successfully without tahini. So, if you don't have any... well, I just might recommend that you try it with a bit more of the reserved liquid to make it the consistency.

I really ought to read recipes more closely, I didn't add the 1/2 cup of reserved liquid from the chickpeas, so my mixture is a bit thicker. Next time, I will add that for a creamy mixture.  Do yourself a favor, and just add it to begin with.

P.S. Do you like my orange cauliflower?  I paid twice the price, but it was so dang cute.  
P.S.S It tastes exactly the same as the white kind.


Makes about 3-4 cups
Ingredients

1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1/4 cup tomato paste
2 teaspoons dried oregano
1 teaspoon dried basil, or fresh finely chopped
2 to 3 cloves garlic
2 15 oz cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed, 1/2 cup liquid reserved
1/4 cup tahini (Mid Eastern Sesame paste)
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
Kosher salt


Add all the ingredients to the food processor and puree until smooth and creamy.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment